Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New To On-line Games...question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 thewall

thewall

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:32 PM

I have never played on-line games before, but I own a Playstation2 and play it a lot. The question i have is do you need special controllers to play on-line games or can you plat with your mouse and keys. The reason i ask is i down loaded America's Army toady just to try one of the games listed on the forum out and i can't seem to do anything lie the marksmanship part.

Any help would be appreciated or if you can point me to a link where I could find the answers.
If I have helped you then please consider donating so I can continue the fight against malware Posted Image
All donations go directly to the helper

Posted Image

Due to the large amount of backlogs we have I cannot respond to PMs for help unless I am already working with you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:49 PM

I'm assuming because your playing Americas Army it's for the PC(your computer). With the computer all you really need for most games is a mouse and a keyboard. Make sure you check out the control configuration for each game you play they will tell you what key is what. Ex. "W" to walk forward, "LeftMouseButton" to shoot.

I hope I helped some, good luck with your online expirience if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Edited by ussr1943, 28 June 2007 - 08:45 PM.

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#3 thewall

thewall
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:50 PM

That is correct, I am playing it on my PC and I appreciate the info. :thumbsup:
If I have helped you then please consider donating so I can continue the fight against malware Posted Image

Posted Image

Due to the large amount of backlogs we have I cannot respond to PMs for help unless I am already working with you

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:02 PM

Some games allow gamepads (controllers), like being able to use the wired 360 controller to play Halo 2 on the PC for example. Some games can also make use of joysticks for flight and steering wheels for driving games. That said, the keyboard and mouse are going to be the center of your PC gaming experience.

For the most part, just about all FPS games have the default movement keys as W, S, A, and D. Still, pretty much all computer games will let you map out your own controls so it's all about what you find the most comfortable. I used to play all my FPS games using the arrow keys on the right of the keyboard but over the past year, I've migrated to W, S, A and D.

#5 thewall

thewall
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 08:32 AM

Thanks Wizdabest!

Posted Image

#6 thewall

thewall
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:46 PM

I need to ask another question. On playing America's Army when you get to the HOUT how do you go about talking to the people it tells you to talk to. I don't see any prompts and I have tried about everything i know. I also could not figure what command to use to open or close the door.

As i said I am new to PC games and i have searched high and low and could not find any instructions for using the keyboard other than what they showed in the other parts of the basic training.

Posted Image

#7 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:02 PM

I believe in AA the "use" hot key is "E" or "F" one of the two, you walk up to your instructor and press the "use" key.

The "USE" key or "ACTION KEY" as it's known is used for alking to people opening doors, healing friends on AA I believe.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#8 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:10 PM

I believe the default is 'F'. Again, you can map the controls to whatever you want.

#9 thewall

thewall
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:15 PM

I believe the default is 'F'. Again, you can map the controls to whatever you want.

How do you go about doing that. I really have looked around on the site, but have been unable to find out anything concerning this.

Posted Image

#10 thewall

thewall
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:20 PM

I believe in AA the "use" hot key is "E" or "F" one of the two, you walk up to your instructor and press the "use" key.

The "USE" key or "ACTION KEY" as it's known is used for alking to people opening doors, healing friends on AA I believe.

If I am trying to pick up a weapon I press the "E" key. Is this what you mean by the "USE" key. Sorry to sound so dense guys, but I tried doing a search for this info and couldn't find a thing out about it.

Thanks foy your help also.

Posted Image

#11 thewall

thewall
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:30 PM

OK, the "E" key worked. I thought I had tried them all, but I guess I missed that one.

Thanks again, it was a big help. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#12 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:17 PM

Here is how to change the control mapping for America's Army,

Go to Settings>Input tab>Configure Controls

#13 Ryan12

Ryan12

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:09 AM

For game-related questions, I would ask on an America's Army gaming website with their own forums. There should be plenty out there as it is a very popular game.

I have played Battlefield 1942 and Call of Duty 2.

If *eventually* you'd like to play multiplayer competitively, you might look into the league scene. Check out CAL (bit more serious) and TWL (bit less). I am a former TWL staff member.

Edited by Ryan12, 01 July 2007 - 12:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users