Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Creative Soundcards In Vista

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Futurelife

Futurelife

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:07 PM

I just bought a Dell Dimension E520 PC running VISTA Business, with an Integrated Audigy soundcard. The audio drivers are listed as "SigmaTel High Definition"

Because the Integrated Audigy doesn't support "What U Hear", which I use a lot, I bought a Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio card.
I installed it following the instructions from Creative - i.e. uninstalling the existing drivers, not letting windows do the installation but installing instead from the Creative setup disk.
All of its recording functions except S/PDIF-In were listed as "currently unavailable". Listed as unavailable were Microphone, Line In, Auxiliary and "What U Hear".

I uninstalled it, reinstalled the Integrated Audigy/SigmaTel HD drivers, and then tried installing the X-Fi Xtreme over the top of them, thinking that the setup program might recognise the existing card and remove the drivers itself. It installed OK again, but this time the only working device was Microphone; everything else was listed as "currently unavailable". I tried downloading the latest drivers from the Creative website and installed them. This made it worse - the "What U Hear" option didn't even appear in the list and everything else other than Microphone was listed as "currently unavailable".

Finally, I removed the card and uninstalled all its drivers and software, and reinstalled the drivers and software for the Integrated Audigy/SigmaTel, using the Dell drivers disk and the Audigy Advanced MB disk. Line In and Rear Mic are still listed as "currently unavailable" and the only working device is Microphone. :huh:

I need to do some line-in recording as a matter of some urgency (This Saturday deadline), so I need a solution to this problem asap.

Thanks for any help.
PS. I've also emailed Dell about this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:24 PM

Maybe someone else is familiar with that Dell PC - I am not.

Howerver, I would like to ask a question:

can you go into the system BIOS and disable the on-board sound?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:10 AM

I've had issues installing Creative Drivers for the Audigy on Dell systems - my solution was to install the SoundBlaster Live drivers on a disk that I found laying around. BUT, my only concerns were that it made "sound" and that it didn't show as disabled in Device Manager (don't have a clue about the "What U Hear" software)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 markuk3

markuk3

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:24 PM

"what you hear" is part of the sound drivers , It allows you to record from a alternative source ie, a record or cassete deck. I had similar problems with a x-fi on my system i downloaded the newest drives from the creative website and it has work fine ever since. Only disapointment is the digital output are not full supported.

#5 Futurelife

Futurelife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:39 AM

It's all working now.

The way around the Wave Studio 7 / X-Fi Xtreme Audio incompatibility (in may case) is to uninstall the Integrated Audigy & SigmaTel software EXCEPT Wave Studio 7, and then do a full install of X-Fi Xtreme. Wave Studio 7 remains on the PC, and it works with X-Fi Xtreme Audio. I've tried it with What U Hear & Line In - both OK.

#6 uitrop

uitrop

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:16 AM

just go into the screen where the microphone, line in etc are listed. Right click on line in or any other device that is listed as currently unavailable. Then click set as default. The device should almost immediately be detected and become available and start working.

#7 Frank_D

Frank_D

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:16 AM

:huh:

Does this mean you CAN use "what u hear" on VISTA for broadcasting purposes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users