Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install Of Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew D'Angelo

Andrew D'Angelo

• Banned
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:07 PM

i have an old compaq armada 3500 laptop...128mb ram....and like a 6gb hdd...it only has a regular..non burn cd-rom drive. I tried installing my windows xp onto it with that disk(not burnt...its a regular disc) and i get an error message. Any ideas or suggestions to make it install.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:09 PM

What's the exact error message that you get? Have you ensured that the disk that you're using is cleaned and is scratch free?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Andrew D'Angelo

Andrew D'Angelo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:21 PM

I dont have the computer next to me. but the error is something like cant read file from disk.. aborting install..The disk is crystal clear.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:48 PM

Just curious, has this ever had XP installed on it? Did it work? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong specs.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Andrew D'Angelo

Andrew D'Angelo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:40 PM

never, it came with 2000 pro..never tried reinstalling on this computer until now btw the disc succesfuly works on my other computers

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:00 AM

I'm almost certain you'll have to do a BIOS update. At least I did with my old Thinkpad Also with your memory and hard drive space you're sure to have issues. I'd leave 2K on it or if it's corrupted and you want to reinstall, this would be a perfect candidate for a Linux distro
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 29 June 2007 - 11:33 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Andrew D'Angelo

Andrew D'Angelo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:34 PM

2k is gone already, i dnt have the install. The hdd and ram is fine? my old desktop ran it with less.

#8 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:15 PM

need more ram

that maybe your problem

#9 Andrew D'Angelo

Andrew D'Angelo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:06 PM

its got 128, i ran xp..from this exact disk on a comp w. 64mb..i dont see why it would say a file is missing if ther is a hardware problem though

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:27 AM

XP will run on that RAM, it just won't run well - and will slow to a snail's pace after a short period of use. But, this doesn't seem like a RAM issue - rather it seems like a hard drive or a file system problem.

If the hard disk is just a bit bad, only certain sections of it will be unreadable - so it can be the hard drive. A chkdsk /f /r may fix it, but you'll have to load something in order to run it (a boot disk of some sort).

You can also usually download a free, bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive so that you can test the drive without having Windows installed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Andrew D'Angelo

Andrew D'Angelo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:55 AM

laptop wont read burnt discs, has to be a real disk , anyone know how to make a burnt disc read like that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users