Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Shared Usb Printer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Screeam

Screeam

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:25 PM

I have a router that has a usb port.
It is assumed to have a print server.

Question 1) If all ethernet cards are filled can i connect another pc on the usb port?
Question 2) For routers we do not run driver programs. In case we attach a usb printer, where the drivers are installed?
Question 3) From the other local pcs how do we send print jobs to the usb printer?
Question 4) This usb printer does not have an IP, am i wrong?

Please try to clarify this questions for me.

Moved from the XP Forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 29 June 2007 - 12:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:47 AM

Question 1) If all Ethernet cards are filled can i connect another pc on the usb port?

If the USB port on the router is a print server then no you cannot use it as a NIC. If you are un-familiar with that router it could also be a USB port to add a USB external hard drive to.
Could you port the make andmodel router that you have?

Question 2) For routers we do not run driver programs. In case we attach a USB printer, where the drivers are installed?

You may need drivers to configure the print server but typically you do not need drivers for the router to work. If you enter the router's setup page you will likely find a page on setting up the print server.

Question 3) From the other local pcs how do we send print jobs to the usb printer?

You will setup the printer through the networking rather than locally. There will be a CD that should have come with that router to configure the individual computer. You will need the printer drivers on the computer you are configuring, just like if you were connecting the printer directly to the computer.

Question 4) This usb printer does not have an IP, am i wrong?

You are right. the printer does not have an IP address but the print server does. You will see it when you configure the print server from within the router setup pages.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users