Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program Shutdowns And Dr Watson Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ken J

Ken J

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:54 PM

A few weeks ago, I was having a problem with programs shutting down with the announcement, "___ has encountered a problem and needs to close." After discussions on these forum pages, it was suggested that my operating system may have become corrupted. In attempting to repair it, I ended up completely reinstalling it.

I figured that was that. Drastic maybe, but it had to have fixed the problem, right?

Apparently, wrong. I'm still getting unexplained program shutdowns, especially if my computer has been left on for much of the day. When this happens, I get similar announcements of OfficeWatson or Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger needing to be shut down; and when I look in the task manager, I see a whole raft of separate instances of Dr Watson running at the same time--try to restart the computer, and it takes forever as each one of those instances shuts down one by one.

What's going on, and how can I fix it? I've run Kaspersky Antivirus, and it didn't find anything. Can there be something in a recent XP update (I'm running XP, SP2) that's damaging the system? (secret Microsoft plan to force consumers to upgrade to Vista?)Is there a way to fix Dr Watson, specifically?

Any help will be appreciated. Just remember, I'm running an eMachine, and the restore discs that came with it do NOT give me an option to simply repair.

Edit: What's running now, for no apparent reason, are multiple instances of "drwtsn32.exe" and "dwwin.exe" (always in that pair). In addition, as soon as I start the computer up, I receive the message, "Windows Logon UI has encountered a problem and needs to close."

Edited by Ken J, 28 June 2007 - 03:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:10 PM

Ken I too have suffered this recently, whilst i have discs that can perform repairs I'm loathe to do so just now. These errors are intermittent in nature for me, but the one repetitive problem is at startup when "Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" yet the desktop flashes blank and then continues to load anyway. Odd.

My guess is like yours, a recent MS update, and whilst i run system restore i am unable to figure out what point to restore to because the errors have only realy kicked in strong the last couple of days. Naturally i have made a plethora of changes to my system since my last MS update so that's another reason not to restore, too hap-hazard.

Yes i have run all the scans in the known net-universe and nothing comes up, so my plan of attack was to wait and see if MS delivers a fix. I regularly scan my registry with Registry Mechanic and no odd or peculiar entries have shown up there.
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:38 PM

Using Dr Watson and how to interpit errors:
computerhope.com
Microsoft

How to disable and reinstall Dr Watson
Microsoft Warning-this is a registry edit
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Ken J

Ken J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:22 PM

Just so I'm clear, garmanma: the Microsoft instructions on how to disable Dr. Watson--they aren't telling me how to uninstall Dr Watson, are they? Just how to disable it, then how to reenable it?

I didn't go so far as to delete the AeDebug key; instead, I went in and set the Auto value to 0, figuring that that would stop Dr Watson from running automatically in the future. Am I right?

Also, further info: I downloaded HD Tune (suggested in another thread) and ran it; it found no errors or problems, except that the temperature was slightly hot (55 C). Could that be contributing to my problems?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:33 PM

Just so I'm clear, garmanma: the Microsoft instructions on how to disable Dr. Watson--they aren't telling me how to uninstall Dr Watson, are they? Just how to disable it, then how to reenable it?

I didn't go so far as to delete the AeDebug key; instead, I went in and set the Auto value to 0, figuring that that would stop Dr Watson from running automatically in the future. Am I right?

Also, further info: I downloaded HD Tune (suggested in another thread) and ran it; it found no errors or problems, except that the temperature was slightly hot (55 C). Could that be contributing to my problems?

Disable/re-enable, not uninstall.
55 C is hot?

Heatsink guide.com temp chart
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 29 June 2007 - 02:36 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:26 AM

garmanma i tried the approach you posted here but alas, the problem returns upon the re-start of DrWatson. Is it safe for my system to have DrWatson removed ?

XP Home Sp2
Office 2003 Pro
Lotus SmartSuite 9.5 with LotusNotes
P4 3.0
1GB (2x512)
main HDD 80GB
secondary 130GB

thanks for the help so far

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:16 PM

Everything I have read so far says there won't be problems if you disable it. You can always re-enable it if you so desire. You say you have the disks to do a repair. A repair install should not delete/destroy any files, but as always, it's safe to back up important files and docs.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#8 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:07 PM

hmmmm am sort of not convinced on the repairing side of things, Ken J did a full re-install and it didn't solve the issue. Mark i'll take your advice and run with disabling DrWatson altogether, if anything funny happens i'll post it here, and i'll back up the reg key just in case.

I think my hunch on an MS update might have something to do with it so i let error reporting flow on each time this happened. My hope here is that numerous other systems out there are suffering and reporting in so MS may be onto a fix soon.

Will keep you posted, thanks again

#9 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:27 PM

removed the reg key for DrWatson, rebooted, the same original error occurs ...... "Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close". Upon clickong OK the desktop disappears except for my wallpaper, pauses for about 10 seconds, and then flashes back up and continues to load as per normal start up.

Naturally there is no pop-up for error reporting or DrWatson this time around, nor are there any entries in Task Manager for DrWatson or associates.

the original error remains a mystery but stability has been restored. The error reporting routine would normally freeze my system while DrWatson tried to do his thing, and required me to enter TaskManager to shut down associated processes. I'll consider this a band-aid and see how it progresses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users