Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What The Crap Does This Mean? My Blondeness Is Back

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kansasblonde

kansasblonde

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:11 PM

Hi all ,
When I turn on my laptop, I'm getting this message:

Windows - Registry Recovery
One of the files containing the System's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was sucessful

WHAAAAAAAAT???? What stupid thing did I do now?? :flowers:
Thanks so much. You guys rock :trumpet: :thumbsup:
Sher
The blonde in Kansas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

What does it do after showing the message? Does it just keep restarting in an endless loop or is the computer usable?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 kansasblonde

kansasblonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:49 PM

It just shows that message then I hit ok...or X it out and all is fine till the next time I start my computer up. I've ran virus & spyware scans....nothing.
Thanks so much :thumbsup:
Sher

#4 PC GEEK

PC GEEK

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:00 PM

is there any other numbers associated with the error message?? if so, that would help...also is there a file extension name of anykind (i.e. .dll or .exe) ...i have seen similar cases with trojan viruses that when detected, modified, opened, or deleted replace themselves (which could explain the part about the registry being fixed or what not)....

#5 kansasblonde

kansasblonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:53 PM

No, nothing but the box with the error message in it. I did a screen shot, if you want to see it. Would that help? I'd cut and paste it here, if I could figure out how.
Sher

#6 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:52 PM

I'm going to give you a worst case here. Your hard drive may be on the verge of failure. Sounds like the area of the hard drive that contains one of the registry hives has an error, but windows is able to work around it with a backup of the hive.

Time to be sure you have a current backup of all your important data. Then run a good diagnostics program and a 'smart' analysis of that drive.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#7 kansasblonde

kansasblonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:22 PM

Thank you. Can you please tell me how to do that...the complete backup and also the diagnostic things that you said to run? Just now, I was running Yahoo Music Jukebox, a service where I pay 9.00 a month and created playlists. I noticed the first couple of songs that I was playing were cutting out...then would start playing again. I went outside and came back to a blue screen telling me that windows had to shut down....a bunch of other stuff and I believe it did say something about registry, but ignorant me, didn't write down what it said. I manually shut it down, waited a bit and turned it back on. Started up without incident...and I came straight here :trumpet:
I'm just about in tears with this thing. Bleeping computer, indeed!
:thumbsup:

I value all the help here. Thank you so much :flowers:
Sher

#8 PC GEEK

PC GEEK

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:01 AM

Thank you. Can you please tell me how to do that...the complete backup and also the diagnostic things that you said to run? Just now, I was running Yahoo Music Jukebox, a service where I pay 9.00 a month and created playlists. I noticed the first couple of songs that I was playing were cutting out...then would start playing again. I went outside and came back to a blue screen telling me that windows had to shut down....a bunch of other stuff and I believe it did say something about registry, but ignorant me, didn't write down what it said. I manually shut it down, waited a bit and turned it back on. Started up without incident...and I came straight here :trumpet:
I'm just about in tears with this thing. Bleeping computer, indeed!
:thumbsup:

I value all the help here. Thank you so much :flowers:
Sher

Darn you!!! Ha its ok i made this mistake the first time too.....WRITE DOWN EVERY ERROR MESSAGE IN ITS ENTIRETY.....it'll help us nerds on this site...and google for that matter....find out what the problem is....i got a few blue screens after building my pc and it turned out that i had the ram in the wrong channel....i have heard many people say that 80% of the time its RAM causing the blue screen but it doesnt seem like it in this case with your music and stuff cutting in and out...thats just odd...hmm....well try this: open up your music thingy maboby (very sophistocated words we use here!) and then just start pressuring your comp by switching songs continuously, opening as many DIFFERENT programs as you can in as little time as you can and then see if you can get it to error out again....sometimes it works better if you have a really high demanding cpu program such as a game or such but im not sure if you can do that or not....keep me posted and ill see what i can do....

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:49 AM

What is the make and model of the computer?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 kansasblonde

kansasblonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:19 AM

Hi
It's a Dell Inspiron 9400 /1700 laptop.