Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Up Wi-fi

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:08 PM

Hi
Wi-Fi Newbie needs help!!

I have a ADSL wirless router.

Today i bought a HP Laptop and want to set the laptop up gor Wi-Fi. Sorry to be so ignorant, but I just can't seem to get it together. And yes, my laptop is very close to the router.

I am using Vista, and the steps I have taken are as follows:

Connect to Internet
Q. Do you want to use a connection that you already have?
No - create a new connection
Yes - I'll choose an existing connection

The only connection listed is "Broadband Connection WAN Miniport (PPPOE)

I chose "No, create a new one"

Q How do you want to connect?
I chose Wireless
Q. Select a network to connect to:"
Marconi Security-enabled network (only one listed) I have South African Telkom Premuim Combo Wireless Router

Q. Type in the Network Security Key or Passphrase for Marconi
????? What is this and why if Wi-Fi is already active??

- My ISP is www.mweb.co.za - also provides the ADSL and Wireless. In my account it says that the Wireless is "Active" see below copied from my MWeb Account page:

Wi-Fi
UNITS AVAILABLE: [ 300 ] | Buy More |
LAST USED: [ never

So if Mweb says that Wi-Fi is Active, why can I not activate and connect it on my laptop?

I have also gone through START, CONNECT To options, and whichever way I do it, the TYPE THE NETWORK SECURITY KEY OR PASSPHRASE FOR MARCONI.

In Control Panel, Wireless Network Wizard

Posted Image

NB: I did the setup manually to set my own security key (which I have deleted from the screenshot) and still no luck..

And YES, I have switched the Laptop's Wireless button to on. Also, I DO NOT have a USB Flash rive.

Also, I charged the laptop for 16 hrs as recommended, and it soon ran down when I started to use it. So I have re-charged and it has dropped to 63% in just over an hour - and all I was doing was trying to do the wi-fi thing. This can't be right, can it??

10 mins later, and the battery is down to 57%. Did I not do the initial charge for long enough? Should I now charge it again for 16 hours???

Thanks
:thumbsup:

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 29 June 2007 - 09:41 AM.

XP Professional FIrefox 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:57 PM

Hi nat

You could try the free version of NetworkMagic and see if it will do the job for you. I used it and was so impressed, I bought it. I'm a new laptop user so afraid I can't help with the battery question.

http://www.networkmagic.com/product/

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:44 AM

Battery life for laptops varies immensely - it depends on the battery itself, the power settings in the laptop, the amount of work that the laptop is doing, and even the environment that you're using it in. If not using the wireless, turn it off - that'll save lot's of power.

65% after 1 hour means that you should get over 2 hours out of the battery - and that's not all that bad (but not real good either).
Here's a google for battery life tips: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=l...G=Google+Search

Finally, search Google for reviews on your laptop and read about the battery life comments there - that'll give you a better idea of what to expect.

I loved Network Magic also - but the frequency that it "calls home" is (IMO) way out of line - so I stopped using it.

Is this your ASDL wireless modem?: http://marconisa.co.za/premium_combo_modems.htm I'm not familiar with ASDL myself, but you could call the support numbers and may be able to get assistance from them with setting this up.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

Well hello again Usama, how you doing? :trumpet: :inlove:

I have solved the problem - I decided to ditch the useless South African Telkom ADSL - by searching through BC, and other local resources, I decided to switch to NetGear, which works great - although it did take 3 days of me trying to solve and connect, which failed, followed by a 2hr phone call to my ISP, which, although quite helpful, failed to solve it - in the end, I eventually had to explain to him (advanced support tech!!!) how I had managed to fix the issues and connect successfully with wireless!!

And now I sit here comfortably away from my desk, happily accessing the web, with no problems.....(well, not yet anyway!!)

All the best, and, as always Usama, thanks for your support.
Nat

:thumbsup: :flowers:

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:33 PM

FYI - I have a friend from Capetown that I used to help out with computer problems - and the difficulties with the infrastructure there are truly mind-boggling!!! I feel for you! Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:31 PM

well thank you for your empathy!! Now you know why I seem to be posting numerous topics!! And what makes it all even worse is that the majority of the people at the other end of the "help....????" line belongs to one of the official 11 different languages in south africa... I will leave you now to understand why it took a 2 hour phone call to my ISP help line to eventually get back to what I had said at the very beginning of the call as to what I thought the problem was.......

And try to imagine calling directory enquiries at least 3 times to get the right number....!!

Cheers :thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users