Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot Search And Destroy Scan Question.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 11:57 AM

Hi Guys,Downloaded and installed Spybot Search and Destroy just now. Ran scan and 2 results I would like clarification if possible.
1 Microsoft IE Firewall bypass---- 2
2 Osaka Deskmates----------------44.
Would this mean the SP2 Firewall is no good?
The second what ever it is, what is it and how do I stop this in future,so many, 44.Is it Cookies?
Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:16 PM

yes, in general i dont think you should be using windows provided firewall, i have done alot of reading and its pretty much junk with lots of loop holes,
use zone alarm or Filseclab.

Thanks for responding 'Littlephoenix'.Been going to use a decent Firewall for ages,but this time I definately will.
Heard good reports about Comodo.Which one is the most user friendly to set up?I need it simple.Set and forget,if possible.
Don't want to continually be allowing and rejecting Manually if I could get away with it.
Any clue about No 2?

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:43 PM

windows wall on;y monitors traffic one wat "in" Therfore if it gets in and sends out you'll not know. I hope thats clear..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:24 PM

Hi DSTM :thumbsup:

Maybe you can get some good information from the link I found on Google about Osaka Deskmates.
Spybot Search and Destroy Bows to No One

In the future if you ever need S&D specific help, they have a real good Support Forum ; Spybot S&D Forum .
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:16 PM

Thanks 'boopme' I knew from reading up on BC that the SP2 Firewall is only one way.I have been Paranoid surfing for this reason.Will install a 2way Firewall. Due to my limited Knowledge,I have to pick one thats easy to use.

Thanks also 'TMack' for the link. I will read up and find out exactly what 'Osaka Deskmate' is,and check out the S&D Forum.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:51 PM

You're welcome DSTM. I use Comodo free (on the freeware list). Didn't recommend it as it wasn't the easiest to start with but really happy now. But IMO it's the best. I used to use Sygate and I think it was easier. Tho it's a while now so ...
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:25 AM

I don't know of any firewall that's going to be "easy" to set up.
A firewall has to be "trained", as to what is, and isn't, allowed.
Once that's done, it should pretty much take care of itself, and not require any input from you, unless problems are detected.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:34 AM

Did you ever find out what the osaka deskmates thing is?

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:04 AM

Thanks 'tg1911' I will give Comodo Free a try first and see how I go. If I get into a Prob, no doubt somebody here at BC will assist me if needed,as they allways have. :thumbsup: Good to know, once set up properly, it will not need much input from me.
No 'Jwinathome' I haven't had time to find out what they are exactly. Also I haven't run another scan yet to see if they have come back. Just surprised me that I had so many of one thing, when my other programs failed to pick up a single one. Did have a quick read on the link 'TMack' gave me, and Osaka Deskmate,whatever it is,originated from Aust,if I read it correctly.Will run another scan right now.

EDIT. Scan came up clean. :flowers:

Edited by DSTM, 29 June 2007 - 10:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users