Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Won't Allow Restore!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dnahorton

dnahorton

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:55 AM

Here is my Boo-boo at work today.

(Feel free to laugh if you want) :thumbsup:

I am on Windows XP, and have Microsoft Word 2003. When I started a new document in Word today and began typing a letter (like I do everyday) I noticed that the typing started about halfway down the page and would not go to the top no matter what I did.

So brilliant me went to the top of the Word Document, and hit Help > Detect and Repair > and it said it would automatically fix and repair all my Microsoft Office problems- Great! I thought.

I checked the two boxes that popped up, namely, "restore my shortcuts while repairing" and "discard my customized settings and restore default settings".

After a few minutes, it had me restart. Only now, my Outlook information is GONE! Everything! It wiped EVERYTHING!!
I CANNOT lose the reminders, emails, etc on my Outlook! I am DEAD!

So I went to the Handy-Dandy System Restore, and tried to restore it on several different dates, but it keep telling me that it cannot restore because nothing was changed on my computer. I am signed onto my computer account, and am on a server with three other comuters, so the other account on my screen is the "Admin"- do we have to sign on the Admin to System Restore? We can't remember the password for the Admin account!!

What can I do??? Ekkkk!!!!

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SJ8005

SJ8005

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:17 PM

I had a similar issue when trying to use system restore on my daughter's computer. The system restore process would run and act like it was doing something, then it would say, "Unable to restore from this point" or something like that. After trying several restore points, I posted a topic here and was advised that my hard drive was probably getting ready to take a crap. They were right, replaced my HD and everything runs perfectly (had other issues which prompted me to try and use system restore in the first place). Not to scare you, but that was my experience when system restore failed to work...

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:52 AM

You should check if your email data is still on the hard drive. The default location for this data is:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Outlook stores email as .pst files, so look if there are any .pst files in this location. This may be a hidden folder so you need to set explorer to view hidden files.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users