Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loss Of Video Signal

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 westislandbrewer

westislandbrewer

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:47 AM

Hello,

I know this should go in the Audio & Video forum but I suspect this problem is possibly related to my motherboard. I have a hp d530 Ultra Slim Business desktop 2.4ghz. After a few minutes of running the computer I lose the video signal. The computer doesn't turn off but the video signal is lost. I am using the on board video output. I tried installing a pci video card but the same problem occurs. It does this with several monitors so it isn't the monitor. It isn't overheating because the cpu temp is nowhere near the max when it loses video signal. I tried to boot in safe mode and still the same problem. Anyone out there know what could be at the root of this problem. Thanks in advance.

(Moderator note and edit: the Member has posted about the same problem in another forum. See the thread at:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/96371/loss-of-video-signal/

John)

Edited by jgweed, 29 June 2007 - 06:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 11:32 AM

Hey there,
I would first check your Screensaver settings by right-clicking the desktop -> Properties -> Screensaver (tab) and disabling the screen saver just to try it out. Also, click 'Power...' in that same tab and take off all timers for hibernating, screen shut off, harddisk shutoff, etc. If the problem still occurs, it's something else.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 westislandbrewer

westislandbrewer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:12 PM

Hello,

I tried everything you suggested....no luck...still the same problem. Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else out there with anything I might try!!!

Kind Regards,

Philip Moogk

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:37 PM

just to be sure the computer definatly isn't turning off right? And check your event viewer and see if there are any errors.. Got to the start menu select run then type in eventvwr and press enter under each tab application, security, system. Check for any Error messages around the time when the video is lost. Since it happens often there should be quite a few.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 28 June 2007 - 02:37 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 westislandbrewer

westislandbrewer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:18 PM

Hello,

When I lose video signal, the computer stays on (i.e. the green light in front is still on and I can hear the cooling fans running). I checked the event timer and there were no entries at the time I lost video signal. I will try again just to make sure. I checked all (Application,Security and System). I can see other info but it was not at the time of video signal loss.

Regards,

Philip

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:41 PM

What other error messages were there, they may be a contributing factor. I know I said at the time of the video loss but we should check the other ones too. In a perfect world there shouldnt be any, so something isnt quite right.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 westislandbrewer

westislandbrewer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:05 PM

Hello,

I have ordered an new motherboard. I will post results when I change everything. I really hope this works. Thanks again to all with the tips and suggestions. You help rule out a lot of potential problems.

Regards,

Philip

#8 westislandbrewer

westislandbrewer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:59 PM

Bought and installed new m.b. and all works great....thanks for all the suggestions and help at least I ruled out all lot of things before paying for a new motherboard.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

Glad we could help. Thanks for posting your solution :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer