Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advice On Getting A New Video Card

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 jpj

jpj

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:51 AM

:thumbsup:
I am trying to run a game Medieval II Total War. When I started the game it said I needed a video card that supported pixel shader 1.1 or better. The game also requires DirectX 9.0c. My computer is a Compaq Presario S4000V with a Intel Pentium 4 cpu. The product number is P8656E-ABA. The HP web site gave me two graphic cards that I could purchase from them. One was a Radeon 9200 ,RV280,128MB DDR-SDRAM, NTSC and the second card was an Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 Ultra 128MB DVI NTSC.

So what I was wanting to do is get a card that would work with my computer and play this game. From what I read, the Radeon only supports DirectX8.1 Can some one give me an idea as to what cards on the Newegg web site would work for me? Am I locked in to just the two cards the HP web site said would work with my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:05 PM

I'm gunna assume for a minute that your slot is a PCI slot. The best bet for that is to get an ATI Radeon X1550. It supports DirectX 9 and has 256MB or GDDR2 RAM (the good stuff). And it's about $95.

If you have an AGP slot, the best bet is a Radeon 9550 and supports DirectX 9 and has 256MB of DDR RAM and is about $42.

If you only have a PCI slot, the X1550 is the least expensive card that supports DirectX 9 and you'll have to shell out some money, but the performance will be a significant increase, like night and day. Same goes for the AGP, only its not as expensive.

I'm looking now and I'm trying to find information on your computer as to whether it has PCI or AGP, I'll post back with information when I find it...

Also, If you want to improve system performance I'd recommend upgrading your RAM as well. How much RAM do you have in your computer now? (Find it by right-clicking My Computer ->Properties and it'll say it in the bottom of the window)

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 jpj

jpj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:11 PM

I have upgraded my RAM to 1 gig and I belive my computer supports PCI and AGP.

#4 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:15 PM

Ahh, ok. 1GB is perfect for what you need it.

If it can support AGP, I suggest getting the AGP card I linked to you. If you want one with more power or memory, just say your budget and I'll look for you to see what'll be the best deal.

Regards,
TheYoda

Edited by TheYoda, 28 June 2007 - 08:15 PM.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#5 jpj

jpj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:03 AM

Im wanting something for less than $100. I was just thinking about the possiblity of if i bought a game that needed an even higher pixel shader then Total War which is a minimum of 1.1 or better if were to purchase one with 1.1 and later need one with like 1.4 or somthing.

Edited by jpj, 29 June 2007 - 12:04 AM.

#6 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:40 AM

I'd say the best card for that price would be the card I purchased recently. It was the Radeon X1550 AGP. It was about $78 with shipping but before a $15 mail-in rebate and it works great! Here's the link. I highly reccomend it.

Regards,
TheYoda

#7 jpj

jpj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:52 PM

I also want somthing that will run my games without lagging. Also somthing with good reviews so i can get a card that works well.

#8 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:53 PM

Your games won't lag with it, so long as you have good amount of RAM (1GB or more). And I can give you a personal review because I bought that exact card and it runs fantastic! My setup is in my profile if you wanna look. It's a great card and I recommend it.

Regards,
TheYoda

#9 jpj

jpj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:35 AM

OK ill check it out

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:02 PM

tomshardware.com reviewed the best cards for the money.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#11 jpj

jpj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:09 AM

I'm having a hard time figuring out my power supply but i think it is like 250 watts. Would that card you suggested work with my power supply if it was 250?

#12 jpj

jpj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:43 AM

How many watts does that card need?

#13 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:21 AM

It depends. How much hardware do you have in your system? (ie, how many harddrives, how many optical drives (CD drives), what are teh specs of your computer like CPU and how many sticks of RAM is in your system? Also, any add-on PCI cards you might have)

Here's a good guide to help decide if you need a bigger PSU (you probably will need atleast 350W) and how much bigger.

#14 jpj

jpj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:48 PM

Well i can buy a 500w from newegg for like 27 bucks.

#15 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:18 PM

Don't go cheap on a PSU. EVER. I'd recommend spending at least 40 bucks on a PSU because if you go cheap on your PSU your putting your entire system at risk. Here's a good one for 50 with free shipping.

Regards,
TheYoda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users