Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Failing?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 robprops

robprops

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:46 PM

Hello,
I originally thought I had malware/virus but I was in the BC Malware forum, and was sent here. SifuMike suspects that my hard drive is failing-he found no malware during his analysis.
My computer, runing Windows XP, has been acting a little strange lately-when I run Spybot, Ad Aware, Housecall...-any of the anti virus software, it shuts down midway, and restarts with a blue screen and does a Check disk function. It does not find any bad sectors, and then the log in screen comes up. When I log on, I am informed that the computer has recovered from a serious error. I would appreciate some advice on what to do next!
Thanks in advance for the help.
Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:14 AM

Disable the atuomatic restart after a system failure, that way you can see what the BSOD is saying and copy down the error number and any files it references to.

Right-click on 'My Computer'
click 'Properties'
click the 'Advanced' tab
click the 'Settings' button under the heading 'Startup and Recovery'
clear the checkmark in 'Automatically Restart'
click 'ok'
click 'ok'

then go ahead and run your scan again, and when you get the blue screen, copy down the stop error code (0x00.....) and any files that are listed on that screen

You might also download a drive diagnostic tool from the manufacturer of the hard drive

#3 Bill86

Bill86

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:36 AM

Hello,
I originally thought I had malware/virus but I was in the BC Malware forum, and was sent here. SifuMike suspects that my hard drive is failing-he found no malware during his analysis.
My computer, runing Windows XP, has been acting a little strange lately-when I run Spybot, Ad Aware, Housecall...-any of the anti virus software, it shuts down midway, and restarts with a blue screen and does a Check disk function. It does not find any bad sectors, and then the log in screen comes up. When I log on, I am informed that the computer has recovered from a serious error. I would appreciate some advice on what to do next!
Thanks in advance for the help.
Rob

If the 'blue screen of death' suggests hardware problems, as mine did, I discovered the connection from the motherboard to the hard drive had worked itself slightly loose. Re-seated the connection firmly and haven't had a problem since. If you are comfortable taking the cover off, be sure to unplug the computer and discharge any static electricity by touching something that is grounded.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:06 PM

FWIW - a BSOD is a hardware error. It's Windows' way of saving your hardware from meltdown. It can be caused by hardware issues or by software issues. IME the vast majority of BSOD's are software issues caused by corrupted device driver software. BUT, with a hard drive issue, the usual cause is the hard drive itself.

To analyze the hard drive, try this free utility within Windows: http://www.hdtune.com/ It's a good, generic tool and it will save some time if it does find fault with the hard drive. If it doesn't find fault with the hard drive, then I'd suggest downloading a free diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive in order to test it thoroughly. They usually offer both a Windows version and a bootable version in case you can't get into Windows.

Finally, as Bill86 mentioned, a loose cable can cause these symptoms. And, if you run the hard drive test it'll tell you that there's problems with the drive - even if it's only the cable that's loose. So it's a good idea to make sure that everything is snug before running the test.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 robprops

robprops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for the help!!
I haven't had a chance to implement any of your suggestions yet, but will try them this weekend. Thanks very much...I look forward to fixing this issue!
Rob
:thumbsup:

#6 robprops

robprops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:31 PM

Hello,
I have checked the cables and cleaned the inside of the case. I ran HD Tune and it didn't find any bad sectors. Then I ran Spy Bot, and the computer stopped and shut down again. I had set it to not restart automatically, and the following message was on the BSOD;

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

and then at the bottom

***STOP: 0X0000000A (0X00000016,0A00000002,0X00000000,0X804E469A)

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Rob
:thumbsup:

#7 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:56 PM

Read IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

As stated in the site, it's probably caused by overheating and bad ram.

For memory test, you can get Memtest86+ and run a test to see if you have a bad ram.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:33 AM

Another link to an explanation: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x0a

Please keep in mind (because of the "coincidence" of the BSOD when running SpyBot) that BSOD's can be caused by viruses/malware - and that fixing an infected system can actually make things worse. I'd suggest several independent scans to ensure that your system is free of infection:

http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 robprops

robprops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:17 PM

Hello,
I have tried Memtest86+ and it froze the and quit the first time, and then seemed to get stuck the second time. Is it conceivable that this test could take 4 hours and still be on the 6th test? I am suspicious of the RAM. I tried to run Housecall, and during the test the computer shuts down, and then restarts. Perhaps the thing to do is try some new RAM, and run Housecall and the other tests and evaluate it form there?
Thanks for the help.

Rob

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:55 AM

Since MemTest runs in it's own OS (and not Windows), it's unlikely that Windows is the problem here.
Since MemTest quits or locks up, then I'd suspect that there are hardware issues like Nikas mentioned.

Try cleaning out the system, leaving the side of the case off while testing, and having a housefan blowing cool air into the case - does this decrease the problems? If so, then it's overheating that's the issue.

To check the RAM, try testing each stick separately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users