Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

19" LCD Monitor from Costco

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:36 AM

Interested in a 19" LCD monitor. I found this
at Costco for $300 after a rebate. Resolution: 1280X1024, Response: 26ms, Brightness: 300NIT, Dot Pitch .294ms. Has built-in speakers.

I'm running W98SE on a Compaq with 128MB of RAM. Usage is unexceptional, no heavy graphics or gaming. Just want a larger screen without a CRT "refrigerator" eating up my desk space. Concerned that no brand name provided, but no easier place than Costco to return things.

Would appreciate any comments/concerns from the Forum. Thanks in advance.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2005 - 11:11 AM

Best would be for you to go to Cosco and actually look at the display, which can differ between brands, even with close specs, since you will be looking at it several hours a day.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2005 - 04:21 PM

John: I agree with your advice, however this is Costco online and our local Costco outlets do not have this particular unit on display. The good news is that stuff purchased online can be returned to a local warehouse.
So I guess my question is: do you see anything in the specs shown that should alarm me? For example, the dot pitch and response numbers appear inferior to units that sell for $500, but are they so inferior that it's not worth trying? Thanks.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 23 January 2005 - 04:37 PM

Great question and wonderful monitor, for the price.

You get what you pay for. If you are not into hardcore gaming (that you would need a 256MB video card for anyway), then you would not be able to tell the difference.

I will recommend one thing, which I suggest to anyone with monitors 17"+. Make sure you have the desktop space for it. Now you may be thinking, with a flat screen, you would have more room, right? Yes and no. With larger screens, you do not want to be physically closer to it. If you have the room, have the monitor as far away from you as possible. You do not want your eyes to be so adjusted to the screen, that you do not see other light. It is one of the most common problems with constant computer usage.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2005 - 06:34 PM

I agree whole heartedly with JE. I make the analogy that you would never sit that close to a television so make sure you have the space to move back from it and still are able to use the mouse and keyboard.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users