Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Windows/privacy_danger/index File

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 toxic

toxic

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:42 PM

I was recently infected with malware which had replaced my destop picture. While I was able to get rid of the malware with the help of Rookie147, I need help with replacing a deleted file.

I was trying to remove the desktop picture that was taking over the computer. I mistakenly deleted the files in the C:/Windows/Privacy _ danger /index.htm and emptied my recycle bin.
I now lost my screen savers and desktop backgrounds. Each time I try and set one, the Windows Internet Explorer box comes up telling me to check the path or address for the file. I have tried to rightclick in an open area of teh desktop and get no response.

Please help..

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:53 PM

I don't have my copy of XP handy right now, but I don't recall that particular directory being a part of the Windows XP OS. Since you were infected, this could be collateral damage caused by the infection and a repair of XP would likely fix it for you. Here's a link for the how-to: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

That'll fix most software issues that you'll encounter with the OS. There are a couple of software issues (such as drivers) that this won't fix - but it will take care of the Windows operating system files (which is where your issues seem to lie). If it doesn't fix things for you, we can move on to other areas to complete the repair of your system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:47 PM

usasma is right C:/Windows/Privacy _ danger / does not exist in any standard (uninfected) copy of XP that I have ever heard of (it's certainly not in my installation, anyway).

#4 toxic

toxic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will look at the attached link this weekend and give it a try. Hopefully it will fix the problem.

I will let you know how I make out.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users