Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install/cabinet/archive Corrupt Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crossup

crossup

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:13 PM

My problem in XP SP2 is compressed EXE's. For example Windows Media Player 10...when I try to execute the file I get this-

The installation program appears to be damaged or corrupted Please contact the vendor

IF I right click and choose EXTRACT or use a third party archiver, the files extract fine and install without error.
BUT double clicking or thru scripts no EXE that is an archive works - they all give me the error
All that I've tested used WEXTRACT.EXE which I've replaced with the DLLCACHE copy but its a much newer file than on the XP CD so I cant really say that its good.
Also as far as I can tell this issue occurs whether the installer is the Windows Installer(MSI) or Setup/Update etc
Stumped...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:46 PM

I'd suspect that it was not the copy of WEXTRACT.EXE that's corrupted, but rather one of the associated files that go with it. I'd suggest running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/ ). If that doesn't fix it, then I'd go with a repair install of XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 crossup

crossup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 11:08 PM

I agree John, but since I dont know what other files are involved, I'm here looking for answers to the puzzle

I'm trying to avoid a repair install -which I've been a big fan of for many years, because with XP I've had too many "thats not supposed to happen" data losses like email(OE), network issues and there are several hardware devices(like Logitech Webcam) whose drivers require manual reinstallation after a Windows repair.
I've finally installed the Recovery Console and added it to my startup so that I can fix major issues by using default registry entries replaced thru the Console...my point is I'm pretty determined to fix the real issue not
reinstall Windows. Which reminds me that when I DO repair/reinstall, the well over 100 SP2 Updates invariably result in several sessions where the PC wont reboot and I have to use the Console, get it back up then use a Restore point to bring it "almost" up to date...then endless individual Update installs to find the culprits and fixes.
Microsoft should be PAYING me...:D

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:08 AM

Well, then it's gonna come down to "hunt and peck". Try using the free Process Explorer ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx ) to see the files associated with WEXTRACT.EXE - then backup the old ones and replace with new ones. Reboot after each replacement - and if the system doesn't work, then re-replace with the backup. How long it will take depends on the size of the extraction program (and it's dependencies on other files outside of the program).

Not an impossible task, but certainly too daunting for me to attempt! Good luck!

FWIW - on early versions of XP I had issues with the repair install - but lately it seems to have worked flawlessly for me. But, because of those previous experiences I still backup before doing it. It's a good idea to backup anyway - especially if this problem is a symptom of more OS difficulties to come.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users