Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Screen Brightness Doesn't Change

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan12

Ryan12

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:46 PM

On my brother's Toshiba laptop, using the Fn key with the F6 or F7 keys changes the screen brightness as it should.

On my Toshiba laptop, nothing happens at all. No indicators appear on the screen either.

I bought the laptop at the beginning of the year. It is on Windows XP Media Center 2005. Only thing that I've done to it is tried to install Vista from a Toshiba upgrade CD which failed toward the very end of the install and the system reverted back to XP (no problems have come as a result that I know of). I don't know why the install failed as I was careful about everything, but I'm going to hold off on upgrading to Vista anyway.

So again the question is why Fn + F6/F7 key combos do not change the screen brightness.

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:06 PM

What model Toshiba laptop do you have?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Ryan12

Ryan12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:32 PM

Toshiba Satellite A105-S4384
http://www.bizrate.com/laptopcomputers/tos...pareprices.html
* I upgraded to 2 GB Ram

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:42 PM

According to the User's Guide online - h e r e , you are pressing the correct keys.

Does it act the same way whether it is plugged in or on battery power?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:53 AM

When the PC reverted back to XP, did the Toshiba utilities come back also? On my Toshiba it's very easy to accidentally delete/disable these programs - and they'll affect your ability to use the Fn keys.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:55 PM

This happens sometimes with my sister's laptop. It's not a toshiba, but it might help...

Whenever she unpluggs it the settings are to lower the brightness of the screen, I don't like that so I use the Fn keys to make it brighter. Sometimes this doesn't work. What I have to do is go the opposite direction I want to and it'll get brighter or darker, etc and get out whatever freeze it might of been in. This might not be your issue, but give it a try, just in case.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#7 Ryan12

Ryan12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:01 AM

It is the same whether plugged in or on the battery.

Where do I find what utilities I have? Not sure.
I believe I can use Fn with the letter keys that have secondary functions. I can use Fn with one of the high number F keys as well, which puts it on some kind of Fn-lock (the Fn light stays on when Fn is not pressed)

I've tried both brightness keys.

Edited by Ryan12, 01 July 2007 - 12:03 AM.

#8 Ryan12

Ryan12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:02 PM

Any ideas?

#9 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:46 AM

Yup I agree with usasma, you may have to use the utilities disk or even pop over to Toshiba's website to download the driver for the FN button/key. I had the same problem after a friend's Tosh needed reinstalling but there was no restore/utils disk.

Edited by FireKracker, 10 July 2007 - 07:48 AM.

If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:01 AM

FYI - Toshiba USA doesn't seem very friendly to me. If that's the case for you, try Toshiba Canada - much easier to use! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:59 AM

Hopefully this link will help you find the driver you're looking for!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#12 Ryan12

Ryan12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:28 AM

Thanks. Revisited this thread now and searched for/found the right driver.

http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi...iverLanguage=13

Company Toshiba
Type Hotkey Utility
Subtype (none)
Size (Kb) 2676
Version 1.00.01ST
Language English
Country World Wide
Description Toshiba Hotkey Utility is an important module for Windows System. This is necessary for original programs from Toshiba to run properly.With this program you can show the corresponding message, if the computer is set to standby mode by Fn + F3 or hibernation mode by Fn +F4.
Model Satellite Pro A100 (PSAAC), Satellite A100 (PSAA9), Satellite A100 (PSAA8), Equium A100 (PSAAB)

Done, thanks guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users