Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Makes Some Parts Better Than Others

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:04 PM

I have a loose understanding of cores in memory, hard drives, processors, and video cards, but I still would like a slightly more accurate description of what makes 'this video card better than this one', or what makes 'this RAM better than that RAM'? Can anyone help me out? To me, buying something that costs more for the same numbers seems like a waste of money. Can someone give me a paradigm shift on what to do with this extra cost?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:06 AM

While the core chip may be the same the supporting chipsets are different. Also the way the board is made, like are the componats soldered or glued on. You could have one card that has no heatsink and the other has a heatsink and fan.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:17 PM

Also brand name and where it's made are big factors. I don't know which are which, but I know for some people where it's made is an issue. And also what it's made of IE, gold parts or cheaper copper parts. 75% of the time, the more expensive item from the same brand is just made better. It might not necessarily effect the performance, but it will effect the durability of the item.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:20 PM

I've seen Intel's diagrams of the inner workings of a processor in physical realtime. I have NO understanding of that or why that matters. Does anyone know what goes on in there? I guess it really doesn't matter.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users