Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram? 2gb 667mhz Vs. 3gb 533mhz

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SRacer2000

SRacer2000

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:01 PM

I've got a Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz on a Sony/Intel board, Windows XP Media Center Edition. Is there any performance difference between running just my new RAM, 1GB Pair PNY PC2-5300 and running the new RAM plus the OEM, 512MB Pair PC2-4200. Basically is 2GB @ 667MHz better than 3GB @ 533MHz ?

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 27 June 2007 - 03:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WOLVERINE1

WOLVERINE1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:15 AM

I've got a Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz on a Sony/Intel board, Windows XP Media Center Edition. Is there any performance difference between running just my new RAM, 1GB Pair PNY PC2-5300 and running the new RAM plus the OEM, 512MB Pair PC2-4200. Basically is 2GB @ 667MHz better than 3GB @ 533MHz ?

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

The performance of your system depends on how much of the OS you can get outta your HDD and into your RAM to reduce the latency taken to prefetch from Virtual Memory..so in this case a few more MHz on your RAM will surely not be better than having a whole 1GB more of your OS on your RAM..so if I were you I would keep the 3GB@533

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:49 AM

I have had issues on MSI and Intel boards trying to run DDR2 in dual channel mode with unmatched sets of RAM (can't run 3 gB because of this - had to go with 4 gB in order to make it work).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:41 PM

This didn't seem topic-worthy, but for 4 dual-channel slots, I am buying 2GB of 800 and already have 1GB (2x512) of 533 or 667. So, I have two questions. Can I have two different RAM speeds if I have four dual-channel slots? How do I place the matched sets of RAM, side-by-side or in a pattern. The thing that brought this up is I looked inside and there was a slot with 512, an empty one, and then another set of 512 and an empty one and I was told they are running dual-channel. So basically, is there compatibility and what is the placement if yes.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:41 PM

Ryan3000:
Side-by-side is how it works. I have two different brand/speed sticks and they run dual-channel fine.

SRacer2000:
The bigger the better. 3GB FTW

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users