Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring All My Hdd Stuff Without Spending A Penny?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:58 PM

I am moving soon... will still visit here often, but I have all my stuff on this PC and I'm getting a different one when I move. I want to take ALL my stuff with me, but I don't want to spend any money and this HDD is solid in the case. It's one of those Dell HDDs that isn't armor plated like the rackmount HDDs are, this one is screwed to the side of the case and I can see the silicon boards on the HDD without even removing it. I don't think it would survive the trip and it's screwed in about 40 places, so how can I take all my stuff with me without bringing the hard drive?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:58 AM

you left out some iinformation. How much data are you looking to transport? What kind of data? If the were going to allow you to take the hard drive is there a reason they would not allow you to take the computer for a short while to transfer your data to another computer?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:04 AM

USB hard drives are becoming very affordable these days - you can get 100 gB for about $100, and the drive will fit in a shirt pocket.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:36 PM

Usasma, yea I know that but I'm kind of tight right now (want to buy a vid card, media player, camera etc.) and I'm looking to move about 40GB of low-priority stuff. Music, my files, you know, stuff.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:07 PM

For no money? That's difficult - but possible. For example, you can open 40 gMail accounts and store the 40 gB there (you'll need 40 invites, and I don't even know if they're still giving them out).

You can borrow a hard drive or a drive caddy from a friend and do it that way. Once you're done you can return the stuff to the friend.

Borrow about 100 CD-RW's and copy the data that way.

You can borrow a crossover cable to connect the PC to another PC and copy over the data.

Not much else I'm afraid, it's your data and you'll have to figure out what's acceptable for you. FYI - At my shop, we charge $160 to backup 40 gB of data to DVD's.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:02 PM

I know the peace of mind involved with spending $160 on backing up to a separate HDD, but what does it cost your shop in reality?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:53 AM

Depends on the difficulty - if you've got a really stubborn backup you're saving money. If it's an easy one, you're paying us for doing what you could do for about the same price (the cost of a drive caddy, some DVD's, and a burning program (we use a full-version of Nero). BTW, we charge $100 for up to 9.4 gB of data.

The difficult one's involve:
1) Lot's of different data scattered all over the hard drive (making us hunt for the data)
2) SATA hard drives (a little bit more difficult, not a major thing)
3) a failing/corrupt hard drive that won't give up the data easily

Most of the time spent is "wasted" in that we're waiting for a program to perform it's function. With 40 gB that's a lot of waiting (both with the copying and with the burning).

Recently we backed up 2-80 gB hard drives for a man - and he provided us with a 250 gB hard drive to backup to. So we booted into PE mode and copied the entire contents of each drive to the 250 gB drive. This was his 2nd trip also, he wasn't able to locate the backed up data from our first attempt (he was looking in the wrong place). Still only cost him $160 - even though we spent many hours trying to replicate his problem and finally resorted to the entire backup before realizing he was looking in the wrong place.

#8 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:56 PM

I don't really care to do anything you just mentioned. My strategy would have been: copy and paste. Would that work? Oh BTW I'm going over to a friend's house. His dad wants me to help me backup his business data he would be mortified to lose. I have the backup external drive already lined up: are there any software programs free for download that allow me to set a backup drive? Like every time there's a change in those files it makes the changes in the backup?

Edited by Ryan 3000, 02 July 2007 - 08:58 PM.

#9 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:42 PM

two free options are xxclone.com

or drive image XML / made by runtime.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users