Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I.e.6 Up, But Not Running.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brewzer400

brewzer400

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:05 PM

Recently (two days ago) my I.E. browser developed a problem shortly after downloading & installing the most recent Microsoft auto-update.
Everytime I now bring up the browser, it brings up my homepage just fine, everything loads properly and in a timely manner, Whenever I try to use the search engine or try to go to another website (google for instance) It simply opens up another instance of I.E. with a blank page that is completly unresponsive.
The first browser instance remains open and remains on the homepage with the URL of the homepage (not the site I was attempting to go to) highlighted. I have to close both instances otherwise they simply both remain unresponsive. I have windows XP, after numerous attempts of restarting and shutting down and turning back on, reseting the web settings, checking to make sure proxy servers weren't checked off, etc... I simply did a system restore back about 3 days. Once completed I was able to once again surf the internet unhindered. however, I went to bed last night, came back to my computer this morning (I did not restart nor shut down my computer overnight) and it's back to having the same problem it was last night.....

So, Any helpful suggestions? :thumbsup:

*edit*
forgot to mention, I work for the company that provides my internet, so I can check and verify that I've got service coming in and signal strength for the connection is good.**

Edited by brewzer400, 27 June 2007 - 06:09 PM.

One By one the penguins steal my sanity...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:52 PM

Hi brewzer400 and Welcome to Bleeping Computer. :thumbsup:

As you can read in This post in the M$ Newsgroups, you are not alone with having this problem with the last Windows update.

Since you have already tried System Restore, how about removing the update that's causing the problem.
Go to the Control Panel /Add and Remove Programs and check Show Updates.

Highlight and remove one update at a time (from the ones just installed), rebooting after each to see how your browser is working.
You can reinstall the updates were removed in this trial by going to the Latest Computer Security Updates.

Hope this helps.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 brewzer400

brewzer400
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:23 PM

Thank you for the response Tmack, it's much appreciated. I actually tried that as well and it did let it go back online and return to it's normal functionality, but only breifly. I eventually just upgraded to I.E. 7 after restoring and the problem has not returned since. However I've since discovered many more problems (~~related or non to this issue~~) and I'm in the process of re-formatting my main drive (*sobbing softly*)

Ah well, it's been a long time coming, havent done it in about 5 years roughly.

Thank you for the assistance. :thumbsup:
One By one the penguins steal my sanity...

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:41 PM

Glad to hear you were able to sort out this issue brewzer400 :thumbsup:

If you need help with the "other problems" you've now discovered, feel free to post your questions in the appropriate forums.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users