Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One Particular Url Takes Me To The Wrong Place

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tmdowling

tmdowling

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:34 PM

A friend has just created a new subdomain of his existing site. If I go to http://www.newsubdomain.existingsite.com, I see the host's generic "new site will be available soon" message. BUT if I go to http://newsubdomain.existingsite.com (that is, the same address, but without the leading "www."), I wind up on the site for some perfectly innocent-looking automotive specialty parts distribution company.

(It looks like they mostly sell to retailers, not the public, so it makes no sense at all for them to be complicit in this apparent hijacking, although someone could have put something malicious on their site, I guess.)

My computer is a laptop running WinXP Pro. AVG, spybot and Ad-aware scans find nothing amiss. The machine has no other symptoms of any kind of infection, afaict.

The problem shows up regardless of whether I use Firefox or IE, but another machine on my home-network does NOT have this problem, so I know it's not a case of my ISP's DNS cache having been poisoned. I did run ipconfig /flushdns from a command prompt; that didn't fix it.

Could this just be some simple corrupted record somewhere, or must we conclude a malware infection?

TIA!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users