Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

From .doc To .scr

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 guhreizie

guhreizie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:56 AM

all of my ms word documents are converted into .scr what should i do to recover all of them? i dont have a back up copy in all of them please help me immdiately thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:20 PM

The How to change file associations in Windows XP knowledge base article will give the help you need.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 guhreizie

guhreizie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:45 PM

when i right click the file, it doesn't have OPEN WITH.... it just says test, configure and install but no open or open with..... i tried scanning all of it with AVG but it says it's not a infected or anything

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:57 PM

Have you tried a recent restore point to see if that fixes it?

If it doesn't then forget the right clicking for now. Open My Docs or any folder. Go to Tools-Folder Options. Click that. Then click the tab that says File Types and wait for everything to come up. Scroll down until you see Files like DOC. In mine it says Microsoft Word Document and it has a Word Icon.

Yours may say something else that's causing them to open as a screensaver. Delete any DOC-Word type file associations that don't look right. IF that stops them from coming up as screensavers, then the next time you right click a Word Document, you should get an open-with option to reset the file association to Word.

If that doesn't work, you might try this:

You can download a BAT file (zipped) that will restore all of the "default" associations that XP ships with. It will not restore those file associations created by 3rd party applications. The BAT file can be downloaded HERE.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_fileassoc.zip

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_easy_file.htm

When you do get it fixed, I would also recommend turning off system restore to get rid of your old restore points. Restart system restore and it'll automatically make a new restore point with the fixed file associations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users