Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Latest Technique In Spamming...pdf Spam.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:23 AM

By: Lawrence Abrams
For the last year one of the more annoying developments in mass spamming has been a technique where the spam is embedded in an image. With this method it is much more difficult for spam filters to determine if an email with a image is spam or legitimate. Over time developments were made to counteract this technique by performing optical character recognition on the attached images to determine the text encoded in them. This would allow the spam filter to then analyze the text in the image and determine if it was spam. This week a new technique started being used in which spam image is embedded in an attached PDF document as shown below.
One method for spam filters to combat this new technique would be to extract the images from the PDF and then perform their normal image analysis techniques on the exported image. Unfortunately, the spammers have altered the PDF documents so that they are damaged but still viewable. This makes it so at least three open source PDF converters I tested (Xpdf, ImageMagick, and PDF-111) can't properly extract the image from the spam while they work perfectly with normal PDF files. Overtime, a new method will be found to correct these PDF files so that they can be parsed, but until that time keep a lookout for these types of spam.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:46 PM

Amazing.

Thanks for the heads up.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:09 PM

What amazes me is that people reply to this type of thing. Thanks for the post Grinler.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 JoshT

JoshT

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:14 PM

Thats interesting, I kinda like spam though, I never really get any emails, and when I read some spam, I know that someone was thinking about me, when they sent it.

=Josh

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:54 AM

Thats interesting, I kinda like spam though, I never really get any emails, and when I read some spam, I know that someone was thinking about me, when they sent it.

=Josh

You can't be serious 'JoshT'

#6 JoshT

JoshT

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:57 PM

=Josh

You can't be serious 'JoshT'

I wasn't serious, that's the joke.

But spam can become a serious issue. But hopefully some Techy will come up with a solution.

Edited by JoshT, 01 July 2007 - 01:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users