Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Xp Doesn't Insert My Username & Password

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:20 AM

Hi everyone.

I visit a few sites where each time I have to either type in my username and password - or click my 'Roboform' to insert these.

My Windows XP doesn't automatically do this for me. It does with some sites but not with others.

Just lately it has stopped filling in my username & password for Photobucket. Also at a couple of forum sites it doesn't insert my details to log me in.

I'd appreciate any help with this.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:49 AM

I think you'll find that it's your browser that stores that info not XP.
If you are using Firefox the password manager is in the Tools->Options->Security tab. Put a tick in the password box. When you go to login to sites, for a while it will ask you to "remember" then next time it will fill it in for you.
There might be something like this in IE too but I don't use that so I can't tell you.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:58 PM

When you log in to a site you will most of the time have an option along the lines of "Remember me on this computer". If you check that box, a cookie is set and next time you visit the site you will be logged in automatically as long as your cookie is still present.

Any time you clean out your cookies, which often happens when running Disk Cleanup or some other cleaner program that gets rid of browser cache, temp and other junk files, or you clear them in Internet Options or other browser's configurations settings, you will loose those cookies and have to log in again manually or with your password manager.

If you are on a computer that you share with others that you don't quite trust, or it is a public one like at a library or school, it is best not to use the "remember me" option. Log in every time, otherwise someone you don't authorize could use your account. Password managers are actually designed for making log in easier by filling in your login information quickly. It is not designed to save your automatic login cookies.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#4 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:46 PM

Thank you wildchil2 and Papakid, but none of that helps.

That option box simply doesn't appear. I've also noticed that Photobucket doesn't have a cookie stored with me. I can't think why not? I use Photobucket every day.

But then again, I've got another site which has a cookie stored with me, but never shows me the 'Remember' option.

I'm going to try and see if registering as a different username and password at these sites will solve the problem.

Edited by Bone Idol, 28 June 2007 - 06:03 AM.

#5 buckoo-ziwei

buckoo-ziwei

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:58 AM

Dear Group,

When I was using Firefox, I know exactly where the Password Manager is. Everytime there is an upgrade to Firefox, it does not work on my laptop. I used to know where my passwords are installed in XP but now just using Internet Explorer, I have no idea where my passwords are in it. I have to go back to the old Firefox to be able to see my passwords. Can someone tell me where this file can be found without going through my actual physical notebook?

Thanks.

Graphicgirl

#6 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:10 PM

Bone Idol, do you log off whenever you leave a site? TIf you stay logged in that would explain why you don't see a "remember me". It will only show when you need to log in--a certain url will show a form to fill out. If you are already logged in you won't see that form.

I'm going to try and see if registering as a different username and password at these sites will solve the problem.

If you haven't tried this already, look for a log off or log out link. Then log off and see if you can find a remember me option. I just went to Photobucket and there is one there when you aren't already logged in. Sorry it's unclear to me whether or not you understand how this works or if you do really have a problem with Roboform. I don't use it, but know it's a combination of a password manager and form filler. If it is filling in form when you ask it to, it should be working correctly. If there is no form there for it to fill out your login info--because you are already logged in--then there is nothing for it to do there either.

Not all websites have the same protocols for logging in and auto-login. Also, some forum software will now log you off automatically according to certain parameters--just depends on how the forum is configured--so it may not be a problem on your end but just certain sites.

buckoo-ziwei, Internet Explorer does not have a Password Manager, per se. The closest thing to it is AutoComplete <--click this link for a description and you can read how it works and can be set.

As wildchild2 mentioned, XP itself and IE don't store your passwords in a Password manager type program or in a file that is easily readable. Passwords saved in IE's AutoComplete are encrypted and as best I can tell are in your history cache in a file that takes a thrid party utility to read and is not easy to delete if becomes corrupt.

If you want to see a list of your passwords, you really need to use a third party password manager. Firefox has one, but I don't use it as it is somewhat limited and not sure how secure it is--but as you mentioned you can view your login information thru it. You can get a password manager that is simply that--it only keeps a record of the login info, which is what I use. Acerose is not as automated, you have to fill in your own details and copy them to the clipboard to paste them into forms--but I prefer it that way as an added bit of security. Or something like Roboform that will fill in forms for you also. Comodo has a new free app out, but back when I tried it out, the form filling function only worked for IE.

Comodo i-Vault
Roboform

I believe there are some others listed in Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#7 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:55 AM

Thanks for your trouble Papakid.

Logging out from Photobucket and then logging in again never brought up the 'Remember' option. The Photobucket login works fine - but it still means I have to click the Roboform password inserter every time.

I registered as a different person - and when I logged in the Windows XP 'Remember' option came up - and I clicked it. But thereafter the Roboform password software came back again.

I need Roboform for quick access to my email site. It's the only thing that immediately inserts my Username and Password there.

#8 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:23 AM

Hi Bone Idol, do you happen to use a spyware program that removes all the cookies or Ccleaner? If you do clean out your cookies that will cause it to not save your details.
MCP
MSDST

#9 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:36 PM

Thanks Monty007... I'll check that out. I've got CCleaner and PC Pitstop Optimizer.

But then how come most of the sites I visit I get automatically logged in by my Windows XP password manager?

I'm still amazed that the Windows XP designers didn't include a fairly commonsense option which allows you to cut-and-paste your username and password for your chosen sites into a memory file. I would have thought this would be a fairly basic part of the Win XP design. ANY design.

(If I may digress for just a moment)... I also find it unbelievable that the Windows XP designers neglected to include a simple check-box (as Photobucket has) against each of ones saved items to the directories (My Documents, My Pictures, etc) - which would then allow you a very quick method of deleting a whole bunch of these.

And ANOTHER thing... (I'm on a roll)... why O why didn't the designers include the simple option for you NOT to have to click TWICE for every time you want to delete something?

"Delete?" YES - click. "Are you SURE you want to delete this item?" YES - click. "Are you REALLY REALLY SURE you want to delete this item?" YES - click. "Have you consulted your wife about it yet?" YES - click. "Would you like to think about it some more?" NO - click. "You understand the risks involved?" YES - click. "You won't trash this computer if you later change your mind?" NO - click. "What was it again you wanted to delete?" I can't remember.... :thumbsup:

#10 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:59 PM

This might mean something. I can't see the Photobucket cookie here. And yet the cookie shows in my system files.

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users