Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oh Noes!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:16 AM

It appears i overwrote my MBR. I didnt even see it coming..at first i thought my computing was booting the wrong partition. so i opened up GParted twice and changed hda2 to boot (didnt work) and then i tried hda1(didnt work, and hda2 is my windows partition hda 1 is my linux). I can boot both operating systems with a disk, if i use Gparted and hit boot partition # it will work, im actually on my linux right now. So i figured its not that, so i went back into GParted and clicked Boot MBR on first hard drive...it loaded and gave me the error message..so its my master boot record. Is there a way to fix my MBR? i have my windows disk and theres the /fixboot or /fixmbr command but if i use that will it mess with anything else? and i want my windows master boot record back..not linux..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:18 AM

if you use the fixmbr command in the Windows Recovery Console it will bring back ONLY the boot record for windows. So if that's what you want...

#3 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:39 PM

will fixmbr mess up anything? like filesystem or bootwise?

#4 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:36 PM

Problem...my windows xp install disk is broken..and to do the floppy install..i need floppies which i dont own =| does future shop sell them?

#5 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:29 PM

fixmbr won't change anything with the filesystems, but you will only be able to boot into windows after it runs.

Dunno about a good source for XP installation stuff on floppies. I don't know if that's even an option. I'm sure you could find someone to loan you an install disk.

#6 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:29 AM

i have the files..i just need disks which i can prolly get this week..because theres only one file on the disk that doesent work (symc180.sys) and it wont load, everything else is fine. so if i can just get into the recovery console using the disks itll be fine...

#7 rever

rever

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:34 PM

If you want you can reinstall grub using either an Ubuntu Live CD or Knoppix. Reinstalling GRUB back into the MBR will allow you to boot back into either Linux or Windows. As long as you Windows and Linux system drives are still OK.

PS.
Oppps sorry did not read the last part. Seems like you just want Windows back. Well booting into the Recovery Console and doing /fixmbr will fix all for you.

Edited by rever, 02 July 2007 - 03:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users