Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiplayer Text Based Browser Game

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:20 PM

Hi all, I just got interested in text based games and have actually worked on a few ideas with them, and I have on idea I'd love to make. Obviously making a single player part in which to try things out such as resource management and a buy menu ect. would be good to do. But eventually I'd like to get this game online so I could play with a few friends. To play this game online I would need to have a system that could make new accounts, display all the information for the player, and update the players resources and attacks in real time, and when the player logs out all of thier resources keep increasing and everything saves.
I hope that is pretty explanitory. I'm just woundering what language I should do this in. I know I will need some HTML for the webpage, I'm woundering if I could use java, or something simmilar, but most of the game will be server side, and frankly I'm not going to lie to you, I don't really know anything about server side things.

So could you recamend a good language(s) for this project, and possibly some good resources about server side coding/scripting.

Much appreciated

-Ussr1943-
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:44 PM

How do you define a 'good' language? There are any number of languages that would make it possible. Maybe it would be helpful to know with which languages you are already familiar, plus what sort of server you have access to, that sort of thing. You could do it with Fortran if you were so inclined (/groovicus shudders). The easiest way to do it would probably be with multiple html pages. Given a situation (ie, you are in a room with 2 doors, which one do you choose?), should they choose door #1, load one page, and if they choose door #2, load a different page. If you want to do resource management stuff, then you need some server side scripting to keep track of everything; again, the language doesn't matter, but some programming skills are essential.

#3 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:30 PM

It is totally possible to do such a project with most any language, I'm sorry for the confusion what I meant by a good language to use = something that works easily and efficiently with online tasks. I am hoping to just set up a server on my machine and just put the server up when I would like to play with a few friends, This isn't going to be a big game or commercial game, just a learning project. I have a pretty firm grasp on HTML and I'm thinking with my current layout idea most of the page would be static HTML pages, but there will be a few links where if the user clicks for example a build button, the server must subtract so much of each resource and show a count down until the new build will be done, then the page must be updated with the new information, theese parts won't be static and will require some sort of programming. I am not going to lie I do not have such a firm grasp on any specific programming languages, and I'm definately out of practice with my java (I'm now working on relearning and expanding my knowledge). Yes I know this is a hard project, but it's completely possible even for me. I'm currently working on a stand alone ver. of the game to test ideas, but eventually I would like to make it multiplayer.

So what this all boils down to
1.) What language is efficient and easy to use with online taskings, I'd imagine I need some sort of server-side language and a Data Base
2) I will most likely use my own machine as a server, therefore no real limitations(except by my ISP)
3) I know HTML pretty well
4) I know a little of several different languages, nothing to make me really good with the language(basic skills), but this is a learning project.
5) The focus of this project is about learning new things while working towards a goal, I don't guarantee I will meet the goal for awhile, but I do have the resources/ability, and willingness to learn.

Thanks for your time and responses

Edited by ussr1943, 27 June 2007 - 11:35 PM.

"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford

#4 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:57 AM

IMHO, HTML isn't enough for that and you know. Probably, HTML/CSS can set you off with the interface of your website. I'm guessing that you know how to make your own machine as a server. So I won't go anywhere further on that.

Since you already know Java, you can use JSP to do the job and it is pretty easy if you know how. Another language I can recommend you is PHP/mySQL.

Why not list down which programming language you know and more comfortable with, then we can help you from there.

Edited by Nikas, 28 June 2007 - 03:58 AM.

#5 0smino8

0smino8

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:10 AM

If you're trying to make a website like that php & asp is the only way to go :thumbsup:

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:03 PM

If you're trying to make a website like that php & asp is the only way to go

Oh, why is that? How is it any better than using JSP, or VBScripts, or Perl, or any other number of languages? PHP is slow, does not support recursion well, and has poor unicode support. Shall I go on, or do you maybe have some reasons as to why php and asp are the "way to go"? :thumbsup:

#7 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:19 PM

I don't specificly prefer any language over another, and infact I'll probably doing alot of relearning. Since have no prefernce what would be an easy to use,efficient language for dynamic content and databasing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users