Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Com Surrogate

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:54 PM

My wife got an error message on her computer after viewing a video this evening. - "COM Surrogate has encountered an error and needs to close". She just clicked the "close" box and nothing closed down.

Her system-
WindowsXP Home - SP2
Windows Firewall
IE7
AVG Free 7.5
And several "anti spyware programs.

I Googled it - and didn't really see any definitive information. Any info about this would be very helpful,

Keith1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:24 AM

The COM+ surrogate error has many different causes. Have you checked your event viewer for further information? If not, go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

This link will give you and idea of what to look for (although it may be a different error than the one on your system): http://www.issociate.de/board/post/196245/...web_server.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:25 PM

Thank you very much for the information, I'll see if I can find any thing later. I did state that she uses IE7, my mistake, it's actually IE6. The video she was viewing was in an email attachment also. Ok.... I'll post back later how I fared.

Thanks again, Keith

#4 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:05 PM

I went to "eventvwr.msc and there were errors in two catagories.
APPLICATION
- Application error ( which is the only item I found in the link you provided).
- Application hang
- MsInstaller ( which I believe is a Quicktime update which she did recently ).

SYSTEM
- MrxSmb
- Service control manager
- Browser
- SideBySide ( which I believe is Adware )
- NetBT

So... I've "Googled" so much at this point - I'm getting lost.

Something else - This may be irrelevant, but I'll "toss it in" anyhow, in the event it may be important. I ran a Bitdefender scan on the computer and it found numerous items ( which have been deleted). they were - - -

C:\Documents And Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Depl....

They were deleted by Bitdefender.

Should I take some action now, or just "let it ride" for awhile to see what happens?

Thank you, Keith

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:58 PM

I believe that the Service Control Manager will be the COM+ error (double click on it to read the details).

Let us know what it says when you double click on:
Application error
Application hang
Service Control Manager
Browser

The SideBySide service is a bit confusing - it doesn't seem to be a critical error, but it occurs often enough that it's a PITA. As I recall it was associated with HP, Apple, and Microsoft software.

Since BitDefender found something and deleted it, I'd think you'd be correct in waiting a while to see what happens.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

Ok... per your request, here is the information from those four catagories. Icouldn't get them to c/p so I'll have to hand type them.
Application Error-

Faulting application dllhost.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module, version 0.0.0.0., Fault address 0x00000000

Application Hang-

Hanging application iexplorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0., hang address0x00000000

Service Control Manager-

The mrtRate service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Browser-

The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on Transport\Device\Net_BT - { 9B994901-A245-4Ca1-A5B4-438FF096 EAD 4 }. The backup browser is stopping.

Now, if I've read my handwriting correctly, that should be it. Please let me know if any more information is needed.

Thank you, Keith

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:57 AM

Thanks for the info! There's nothing specific here, although the dllhost.exe error reminds me of virus infections. The iexplore.exe is fairly common, and it happens when Internet Explorer hangs - could be anything causing that.

The MrtRate error is another common one, and doesn't usually cause any issues that you'll notice. Finally, I'm not familiar with the Browser error - but it could be related to the IE hang error that you mentioned earlier.

If you're not currently experiencing problems, I'd suggest just waiting to see if the problems recur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users