Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Roadblock

Roadblock

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:28 PM

Hey i know i posted a while back asking which is the best current free firewall out, and you guys gave me a list... I just wannna know from those who do use free firewalls which one is the best besides Comodo(doesn't work properly on my comp so i cant use it).... I've heard mixed reviews on Zone Alarm Free and Outpost free, and others. I'd love to get some feedback on this.. Thx a bunch
~Roadblock!~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:30 PM

I used Sygate for several years, both with ME and XP. It has excellent logs and works well.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:04 PM

I had the same problem with Comodo. It's my understanding that it may have compatibility issues for cable users. But I haven't found another free firewall that I like yet. I've used Sygate and it slowed down my computer. I don't like Outpost or Jetico. I haven't tried Zone Alarm yet but I dunno. It seems to be an awfully big file and I've seen concerns about computer slowdowns.. And I've looked at reviews of other ones and they appear to be worse. So I don't have a third party firewall right now but I'm still interested in getting one. I understand they need to be trained but some of them don't seem trainable.

#4 Micht

Micht

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:25 AM

ZoneAlarm realy slowed my computer. :-(

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:48 PM

Used ZoneAlarm for a while, found it very user friendly, not a resource hog.
When I switched to Satellite internet, found I also had to switch firewalls and am now using Sygate. Overall am pleased with it as well.

Every OS is unique so maybe trying a few different firewalls to see which one works best for you isn't such a bad idea. :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 Micht

Micht

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 03:44 PM

well yes. it depends on ISP and connection type to. i use ADSL+McAfee firewall now, and have good perfomance.

#7 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:18 PM

Comodo Firewall Pro is also a good free choice, as well as either Sunbelt Personal Firewall or ZoneAlarm.
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:52 PM

Hey i know i posted a while back asking which is the best current free firewall out, and you guys gave me a list... I just wannna know from those who do use free firewalls which one is the best besides Comodo(doesn't work properly on my comp so i cant use it).... I've heard mixed reviews on Zone Alarm Free and Outpost free, and others. I'd love to get some feedback on this.. Thx a bunch
~Roadblock!~

Which one is the "best" is somewhat subjective and, as you can tell by your own experience, not necessarily "best" for you.

The good news regarding these free firewalls is that you can try them all - one at a time, of course.

I'm using both Zone Alarm and PC Tools Free firewall on different configurations, and am not having a problem with either.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:34 PM

I'm trying out Sunbelt. One weird thing I noticed is it doesn't seem to turn on automatically on startup. I thought the icon would just appear in the system tray. It does when I click on Start Firewall. Is that how it's supposed to work? I did turn off the ad blocking which seemed pointless to me since I already have popup blockers. It seemed to be OK with most things except it seemed to freeze a website I go to regularly. http://www.allmusic.com/ When I went back to the site without the Sunbelt firewall activated there was no problem. I dunno. If it keeps doing that, I'll probably have to ditch it. Anyone have thoughts about this?

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:59 PM

ZoneAlarm realy slowed my computer. :-(

Micht, Your comment got me to wondering if Zone Alarm could be why my computer was running slower. I've used ZA for several years with no problems. However, over the past couple of months I've noticed a definite slowness. The usual solutions did nothing to improve things. After uninstalling Zone Alarm and installing Sygate my computer is no longer slow. Thanks to all who reminded me that there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to security programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users