Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Fixer?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Roadblock

Roadblock

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:27 PM

Anyone know of a free and good registry cleaner/fixer, i tried Registry Mechanic, but it doesn't delete all of them that it finds unless you purchase the product, Thx in advance
Roadblock

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:24 PM

Unless you have a specific problem you're trying to correct, it's best to stay out of the Registry.
Registry cleaners mark entries as bad, depending on what the software creator thinks is bad.
That's why no 2 cleaners will find all of the same "problems".
Registry "problems" actually have very little effect on the overall performance of the operating system.

Please see this article:
XP Fixes Myth #1: Registry Cleaners

Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Remember to backup the registry before making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:30 PM

I use the paid version of registry mechanic, after having to re-build a fried PC thanks to free versions of registry cleaners. As tg1911 advises, proceed with caution and it helps to have a thorough understanding of just what it is you are reomoving from the registry. My purpose for using such a tool is purely housekeeping, cleaning up after numerous install/uninstall operations, it has no noticeable effect on the speed of my PC
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

#4 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:41 PM

well hopefully i didnt screw anything up, cuz i used registry mechanic yesterday and make it auto delete/clean all of them, had no idea of the effects it could have.. it was someone who suggested that to increase speed of my computer.=(

#5 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:44 PM

Did it create a restore point ? Go back to this point, or use system restore to go back before you used RM
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

#6 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:08 PM

Nope i actually have no restore points >.< ... well hopefully it didnt screw up anything i just uninstalled it so i wont use it again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users