Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Miscellaneous Religious Topics.

• Please log in to reply
487 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:04 PM

I think we need a Thread where we can discuss all areas of Religion, and the Holy Scriptures.Too often topics end up being Off Topic due to Members involving Religion.If a Topic gets too far away from the Topic Heading,Moderators could remind Members that there is a place now for discussions on Religion.
My first Question is,How can a person be sure that they belong to the right Religious Denomination?.When I used to go to Church,I allways wondered if I belonged to the correct Faith. With the thousands of Religious Denominations and their offshoots,how do I know?I still wonder today,if the one I belonged to was the right one.Has anyone ever investigated another Faith to see if indeed, they belonged to the wrong Faith?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:39 PM

Wow, thoughtful and sensitive question here, DSTM.

Yes, I did - often - perhaps not so much for the wondering if I belonged to the 'wrong' Faith, as much as simply being intensely curious.

Children (at least I was) are curious about so so much in life - and I find it a bit odd that so many people were 'right' and only they 'right' in their Faith - which, in turn, at least to a child's way of thinking, can lead to everyone else therefore having to be 'wrong' in their Faith.

I was surrounded by the most incredible Mennonite and Catholic children and in later grade-school years, 'Hindu' faith. And I and my family of the Christian, United Church faith.

And what I discovered - and intensely believe - that all of us, not just the one Faith I and my family practised - had so, so much in common. Be kind, do not harm to others if possible, help wherever you can and on and on. In fact, by attending these other Churches and many more denominations as I grew older, I found that the 'common threads' far, far outweighed any minor differences between the Faiths.

In fact, the one huge difference that existed then - and seems to exist now - is the pesky one that seems to have plagued mankind forever - the inability to simply accept that ours is not the 'one and only' and that having someone believe something else is not a reflection on our own personal belief system.

Do hope all this makes at least a bit of sense - gentle smile - but I got lucky as a child, I didn't have to wonder if I belonged to the 'wrong' faith, as I considered myself belonging to all of them.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 08:50 PM

Well how I believe that everyone should find thier denomination is like so.
First find out do you believe in a creator/omnipotent being?
Second do you believe in many gods?
Third what qualities do you believe of god or gods (ex. merciful, vengeful)?
Then just narrow it down to a religion, then from there narrow down to a denomination or sect.
I believe in choice and that YOU decide who god is, not some preacher.

I think most people follow what ever denomination/sect that their parents/guardians followed.

As for "Common threads" this is what I like to "preach" :thumbsup: in reality religions are very much simmilar, and religious denominations/sects are even more simmilar.

Edited by ussr1943, 29 June 2007 - 08:51 PM.

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:04 PM

I was born and raised a (ahem, this is a mouthful) Independent, Fundamentalist, Southern Baptist, which when broken down means the church I attended wasn't part of the SBC (Southern Baptist Convention) but had many ties to it (I do live really close to Liberty University after all), and they preached the gospel, the Old Testament, and the Revelations. Yes Hellfire and Damnation were on the billing every Sunday. Needless to say I didnt fit in and just left the whole religion thing alone, with the exception of scaring the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Korean 7th Day Adventists who came knocking on my door.

I really and honestly could care less what religion others believe. I believe that they are all means to the same end (happy eternity in Heaven with God or Elvis or whoever else a person chooses), with the exception of Satanism which has to be the most oddball religion Ive ever heard of, Why would you want to spend eternity in Hell?

Posted Image

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:39 PM

There are many differences in Religious Faiths.I as a young boy growing up, had to adhere to rules totally different to other Denominations.I wasn't allowed to play from Sunset Friday to Sunset Saturday,which I found odd.We were not allowed to eat certain meats, etc. Were not allowed to ever go to the Picture Theatre in those Days.Even went to Church on a different Day to most Religions.I felt completely different to most Kids at that time.And we were ruled with the rod in those Days.Alcohol was the Devils brew.One day I cursed and my Gradmother grabbed me by the hair, and jammed a bar of soap in my mouth and dragged it across my teeth.All the time it was,you are going to burn in Hell for what you have done.Then I find out my religion was only started in the 1800's in America.To talk to any other denomination about their beliefs was forbidden.I allways wondered was I missing out on something.Were they odd, or in fact we were odd in our beliefs.There are many Religious Beliefs around today,when you read about them,wonder where they got their rules from.These are some of the reasons why I allways had doubt in my mind growing up.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/sda.htm

Edited by DSTM, 30 June 2007 - 12:32 AM.

#6 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:19 AM

I like your " "preach" in reality religions are very much similar, and religious denominations/sects are even more similar" , ussr1943 :thumbsup: Yes, it often seems like the 'best' parts of each are so, so similar!

At the risk of being 'flamed and stoned' here ...

DSTM. when you ask ,"wonder where they got their rules from" , I think (don't know, but think - gentle grin) it depends on who is doing the leading or making up the 'rules' as they go along.

For instance, there is a religion that firmly firmly believed it sinful to, in anyway, prevent the possible conception of a baby. Didn't matter if the woman had 11 already and was about ready to drop off the face of the earth from fatigue. Or if a man simply wasn't fond of little ones and would prefer not to be worn and old before his time trying to support masses of little ones.

The religious leader at that time decided that was the rule. Same religion, lots of years later and another leader. Diffferent 'rules'.

And with the greatest respect ... I wonder how many of the different denominations or sects of various religions were started by a person. A person perhaps with the best of intentions but filled with his or her personal likes, dislikes and idea of good and sin and moral code in general.

When I read the words, " Hellfire and Damnation were on the billing every Sunday" ... well, I'm glad you "didn't fit in", BlackSpyder. Again, I may get 'stoned' here but it's never quite made sense to me. Given an option of teaching people that their God is kind and compassionate - or scaring the heck out of little kids in order to have them 'fear God'. Geesh!

Rules ... good question. Who made the rule that a little kid, terrified out of her little mind, had to be completely submerged in a pool of water in order to 'be saved'? Or decided people should not eat meat on Fridays? So many questions, all about 'rules' and who made them and why.

Please don't answer this if it makes either of you uncomfortable, DSTM and BlackSpyder ... you both had different types of religious upbringing as children ... would you raise your children in the same denomination of Faith?

Edited by MaraM, 30 June 2007 - 01:21 AM.

Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#7 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:58 AM

All religions require faith. None have scientific backing (if they did, it wouldn't be a religion), not even evolution has true scientific backing, merely theories. Now I know someone could create a religion that has some scientific backing, like worshipping Isaac Newton or something. But it still requires "faith" that Isaac was a God because obviously we can't prove he was or wasn't. Basically religion generally requires the belief in something more powerful than you. Whether it is or isn't is a matter of opinion. Worshipping something from money to God, or even when you die you will go someplace, all requires faith in things unproven.

So how can you know if your religion is correct? You can't because none can be proven. Those people who have religions which obviously contradict simple science like some tribe who believe that annual sacrifice keeps them on the earth and not gravity, are considered ignorant or whatever term fits.

Therefore, any religion can work for anybody, it just depends on that person's personality. Sometimes no religion is best compatible with a person. All religions have the same possibility of being true, and they all have the same possibility of being false. It's merely what works for you and helps you to sleep better at night, or not depending on your religion.

With my particular mindset, I've found Christianity to be the most likely religion. But even Christianity has holes and many unanswered questions.

Edited by solaris32, 30 June 2007 - 08:16 AM.

When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#8 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:41 PM

Yes, "With my particular mindset, I've found Christianity to be the most likely religion. But even Christianity has holes and many unanswered questions" does seem very true, Solaris32.

DSTM ... I noticed the thread heading says, "Miscellaneous Religious Topics" ... so do you mind if I veer off slightly here?

I know that this is simply an assumption of mine, but it has always seemed to me, even as a child, that often 'religion' teaches intolerance rather than tolerance. But to break this down further and perhaps more accurately - much of this intolerance seems to be based on the person doing the teaching (i.e. Paster, Minister, etc).

For instance, so many people of both Christian and other Faiths are lovely when it comes to being content within themselves - both with their faith and who they are - and in turn, truly are tolerant of other's belief systems and life-styles (not necessarily 'accepting' but tolerant and kind) - while others seem less so.

An example would be if one takes one single denomination of a religion ... out of the however many churches there may be within a Country, some congregations tend to be 'one way or the other' - again, depending on who is doing the teaching and his or her own interpretation of the Bible, for instance.

Apparently there has been an 'mass exodus' of many congregations of many Faiths through the past few decades ... and I've always wondered if it could, at least partly, be based on not less Faith but simply some Church(s) inability to adjust to the world and it's ever changing people.

#9 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:44 PM

Many religions specifify that their holy texts, such as the Koran (Al Q'uaran) are the end all text(s) of god, and therefore who ever wrote them was writing so under god's guidence. Many religious texts contain information on how to live ones life(Rules in short). If you're questioning weather or not your religion is correct ,it probably isn't the correct religion for you.
As for intolerance, I'd say it can go either way, I've visited a christian church in which they preached tolerance of others and to prove their tolerance they invite everyone from any religion/race/ethnicity to join them and talk, or worship. Yet I have also visited a a christian church in which the preacher said that all muslims were evil and that god says to destroy theese people. Every religion has this, where the teachings vary from church to church, mosque to mosque, temple to temple.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:53 PM

Ive tried Multi-Denominational (where many faiths gather as one) churches before and they never seen to work. It always ends up being about money or self-gratification or something that doesnt involve faith (example I went to a church where the message title for the day was,no joke, "Climbing the Corporate Ladder with Faith"). I have recently been attending a "Happy" Christian church where everything is sugar coated and debatable (no talk about Heaven or Hell just "Jesus was a nice guy who will make your life happier if you believe in him")

No Thanks to either style, but to answer your question MaraM I would raise my children as baptists but not in a similar church to the one I attended as a child (most likely I would go with a SBC church since their like the McDonald's of the Baptist Faith, goto any one and its going to be almost identical ,philosophy wise, to every other SBC church)

Edited by BlackSpyder, 30 June 2007 - 04:54 PM.

Posted Image

#11 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:09 PM

Interesting topic DSTM. Wonder where it will go.

I was brought up in a typical Christian family; Church services twice on Sunday, Sunday School, Bible Class, Choir etc, and enjoyed it all. One day, in my later teens, the Minister made a comment about those who were not of our particular faith were like a person on the wrong train; they believed they were heading for a particular destination but were mistaken.

This didn't gel with me and I gave up on organised religion from that point. I think that any faith which believes in good living is very much like any other. (I do exclude the obviously wacky ones here).

I was told a few years ago that "You must believe in something" and my answer was "Why?' Quite simply I do not feel the need to have my life run by a 'Higher Body' of any description. What happens to me when I kick the bucket is of absolutely no concern whatsoever.

I work with people who live their lives totally dedicated to God and have the utmost respect for their views. I don't think the particular religion matters, it is what works for the individual that is the important thing.

IMO. MaraM's oft-stated 'tolerance to others' would go a long way to relieving the many tensions in this world if adopted by more of its inhabitants.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#12 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:26 PM

Study all...
Pick what fits for you,
and continue to study all.

If one believes in a "Higher Power", one might find such.

Otherwise, buy an "Apple"?
(The last line is a joke - of course.)
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#13 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:45 PM

Study all...
Pick what fits for you,
and continue to study all.

If one believes in a "Higher Power", one might find such.

Otherwise, buy an "Apple"?
(The last line is a joke - of course.)

You are right there 'Koan Yorel' When you say Study all. If one bothers to study other Peoples Beliefs,and at the same time keep an open mind,then I think this breeds Tolerance and better understanding of our fellow man.
We all wish for inner peace,and if we search long enough,we will know when we find it. It's what suits you, that counts.

I'm leaving the Apple Joke alone. :flowers:

I have inner peace and happiness right at this moment. A box of Swiss Chocolates and a coffee,in front of me. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 30 June 2007 - 07:04 PM.

#14 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:08 PM

This is not the reply you all expected, but....

According to some, it was an "Apple" that led others from the "Garden Path"?
Beware of fruit then?

Or as a Dawist? Fruits of ones labors leads one astray?
or as Unionist? Get full value for your labors. And damn all others?

Pick your gods, damn all others, and stick to them!

Or be opened minded, and listen. Take the best and leave the rest?

I don't have the answers, just many questions, but yet a strong belief in my Higher Power.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#15 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:44 PM

Talk about intolerance by some!!! Grrrr and sad sad sigh.

Take two dear child - one 10 year old child and his 6 year old brother - with so much love and effort put into teaching them that people are different and beliefs are different and what's right for one may not be 'right' for another. And although considered an atheist, teaching them that my belief is just that, a belief, and I could be wrong. And some people choose to believe in God and that too is right for them. And encourage the children to attend church on Sundays when with these other family members.

To discover that this piffle-poof has told them that I - and everyone else who does not believe in God - is going to burn in hell when we die ... and that I am living a sinful life .

Thanks a heck of a heap to this piffle-poop! I know I'm ranting here but by gosh, she's darn lucky she wasn't standing here while I was trying to reassure the little ones that they have nothing to worry about and I - nor others they love that choose to not believe in God - are going to "burn up and set fire to the bed when we die". Good grief!

I apologise for this rant - but never ever before have I wished for the same tolerance to be shown towards my lack of Faith as I try so darn hard to show to those with Faith.

Think I'll set my trusty cookie timer for 5 minutes and go off and have a "pity party' by myself by 5 minutes - and wish hemorrhoids upon this women the entire time I'm doing it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users