Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Computer Hangs Or There Is A Significant Delay When Selecting Something

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 zerodown

zerodown

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

I have a dell laptop running xp. when I select something there is a significant delay from when I click on the icon or whatever and when the computer actually highlights the icon and goes to the site or performs the selected function. I thought maybe it was a memory problem but upgraded memory and still have problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled xp to no avail. I've done virus and spyware scans and found nothing. I've cleaned the hard disk and defragged. I'm starting to think it maybe a hard drive probem. any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:08 PM

Are there any network drives attached to this machine?
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 zerodown

zerodown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:23 PM

yes

#4 zerodown

zerodown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:57 PM

it has a mobile processor and built in network card... I thought at one time the card mayhave had problems because it would drop the signal and slow down or even stop the download and then pick back up again. I've seen flucuations in downloads before but not usually 130 or more down to zero and back up. Nothing was happening to influence the signal strength. I updated the drivers. It downloaded some updates fast and with no problems but then started to act up again. I thought maybe whatever is wrong with the computer was causing the problems down loading or the even the source of the download it's self. I also have noticed a clicking sound. kind of like something was stopping and starting or a hesitation. that's why I was thinking of the hard drive.

#5 Crasher12

Crasher12

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

Is the system slow altogether while booting up, launching applications, ect. or is it just for select apps like the internet?

Edited by Crasher12, 26 June 2007 - 08:17 PM.

#6 zerodown

zerodown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:25 PM

I'd say everything though some operations are more apparent. It hangs or delays when playing mp3 files too

#7 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:35 AM

I would back up any important files and then download a free utility from the hard drive manufacturer to test the drive and see if it may be failing. What make is the hard drive in the machine?
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#8 zerodown

zerodown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:50 AM

I'm not sure but I'll find out. The computer is a Dell Inspiron B130. I think Dell has some utilities already loaded if they weren't deleted when I reinstalled windows.

#9 pcar

pcar

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:34 PM

I ran into this problem a few weeks ago on a desktop machine and it turned out to be a corrupted user account. It started out as an Outlook issue (slow program response) but I worked with a really good Microsoft tech who had worked a long time with XP. There were other things as well but anyway...

I created a new user account as a test. Everything was OK with that account. Then I spent a couple of hours recreating my old user environment for the new user, without copying configurations that might bring over corrupted scripts, etc.

Might be worth a quick experiment!

Good Luck

#10 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:04 PM

Could it be this?

Folder Options-View
uncheck Automatically search for network folders and printers

I cannot remember specifically for what reason I found this tip a long, long time ago. But whatever the reason was, it became one of the first things I do after a reinstall. It does have to do with speeding "something" up. I remember that much.

Edited by mommabear, 27 June 2007 - 03:05 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:18 AM

Could it be this?

Folder Options-View
uncheck Automatically search for network folders and printers

I cannot remember specifically for what reason I found this tip a long, long time ago. But whatever the reason was, it became one of the first things I do after a reinstall. It does have to do with speeding "something" up. I remember that much.

This has to do with issues that XP had a while back. It would hang, particularly when searching for a network device/share that no longer existed. Also, it takes time to search the entire network for all devices on all the ports out there (65,000 TCP and 65,000 UDP ports for each device) - so the tip will save you a bunch of time!

Thanks mommabear! I had lost that tip a while back, but have added this post to my bookmarks for reference.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 zerodown

zerodown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:44 PM

nope... that's not it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users