Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus Quality Is Miserable

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 sageinblue

sageinblue

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:26 AM

Asus's quality is dropping rapidly. Is anyone else noticing this?

There has been a greatly-increased number of returns of Asus motherboards to the store I work at over the past two years. Almost all of them were defective.

I purchased a new compy in November. The first Asus board I ordered was not compatible with my memory, even though it claimed to be. Asus quickly released a BIOS upgrade, which did nothing. The second Asus motherboard I ordered died after six months. Scrambled video. Video card, RAM, OS, and all other hardware checked out OK.

The motherboard they RMA'd to me was DOA. Not only that, it was refurbished, and came complete with greasy fingerprints all over the northbridge heatsink. Refurbished RMA products are commonplace, I realize, but I at least expect one that works.

Asus is now no better than a generic company. They attract customers with their legacy, with a pretty website, and with gimmicky overclocking addons to their motherboards, but what actually made Asus great, their stability, has vanished entirely. I never know what I'm going to get when I turn it on. Their customer support, while polite, clearly can't resolve any problems.

So I am forced to ask you all the following question:

SWM, loves long walks on Southstrider Beach, producing digital music, and long IM conversations, ISO new motherboard company to be his hero. Desperate.

Edited by sageinblue, 26 June 2007 - 09:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:10 PM

I can tell you that on most forums a great number of problems are with Asus boards, barring low-end boards like PC Chips. Whether it's because of poor quality control or the number of boards they sell ( more boards-more problems reported) I don't know
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 26 June 2007 - 12:11 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:46 PM

Tyan, Supermicro.

BTW, where are you getting these ASUS boards? my shop goes through 200+ per year with no bad boards.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:09 PM

I actually like many of Asus' products. I did have a mobo go bad on me when I first bought a new computer. But once replaced, it works fine. The motherboard would fail under high stress, such as games that used the CPU heavily.

3939.png

#5 sageinblue

sageinblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:57 PM

The store gets their stock mainly through Tech Data (national distributor.) I personally got my boards from online stores, MWave and NewEgg.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:22 PM

I was disillusioned with Asus a while back when I got my MSI board - and now I'm considering going back. I haven't noticed an increase where I work (but we don't do much motherboard work).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:36 PM

There are two major manufacturing problems I can think of with Asus motherboards: The last gen AMD64 boards which had problems being noisy, and the earlier Intel C2D 775 boards that I think had stability issues.

Other than that I've never known Asus to be anything other than extremely reliable.
Though if you want another brand, Intel boards are quite solid.
Posted Image

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:53 PM

As for the other part of your problem try here
Geek to Geek
Couldn't help myself :thumbsup:
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:54 PM

I have been buying asus refurbs from the egg for quite a while, a lot of people return them but they are fine, user error

I always clear cmos first and read the manual until I understand it.

abit, msi, ecs, asrock and others have given me a lot more problems
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:51 PM

I had the same problem as DJBPace07 with my first ASUS board. It worked fine for a while, but under high, or even a little high, stress, it would fail miserably. I'm a personal fan of ePox, it was the second board I got (after my ASUS) and its been working without problems for about 4 years now.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#11 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:13 PM

No manufacturer's boards are all perfect.

We will be able to find failures and successes with all of them.

FWIW -

my last 3 desktop systems have all used ASUS boards and I've not had any problem that could be directly attributed to the boards.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:56 PM

I waited a year for an asus a8v rev2 mobo, found a 50$ refurb paired with a 150$ amd venice 64/3000

took a couple of weeks playing around to optimize it and hit a 47% OC

tried 3 other mobos with an amd mobile 2400 till I got a used Asus A7N8X v2.0 Deluxe to run the cpu right

asus is the best
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#13 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:38 PM

Here's my theory:
The corporations spy on you and if they see you're a loyal customer, they'll send you the good stuff, if not, they'll send you bad stuff.

nuff siad,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#14 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:12 PM

Here's my theory:
The corporations spy on you and if they see you're a loyal customer, they'll send you the good stuff, if not, they'll send you bad stuff.

nuff siad,
TheYoda

Then how do you make a loyal customer?? I think its just the production of computer parts in general (not related to any one particular manufacturer) b/c I have had a mass failure of all the onboard components of my MSI board (audio is gone so is video) and have had to return more hardware in the last 2 years then ever before (with the exception of dial-up modems which I used to have to replace 3 times a summer)

Posted Image

#15 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:07 PM

...just a theory...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users