Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Burner Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 buckoo-ziwei

buckoo-ziwei

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:04 AM

Dear Group,

This is the first time I have posted to this group. I need help. Please excuse my English...I will try to simplify it ...

My laptop is a
Gateway 8510GZ
Intel Pentium M 1.73GHz, 1.25 GB of Ram

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition 2002, Service Pack 2

It came with a DVD burner : GSI DVD + - RW SDW-082

My problem: I need to burn some files to a DVD. BUT when I put a blank new DVD in my drive, I can't put anything in it because it says that my DVD is full. I tried several new blank DVDs, Verbatim, Sony, generic cheap ones -- but they are all the same: I can't burn anything in it as the disc is blue in the properties, 0 space available. There are no files in it as all the disc I put in it are brand new ones, never written.

Anyway, this morning, I decided not to put anything in the drive. I checked the properties of my drive and it says the same: 0 space. It is blue and not pink. 0 space, 0 files.

What am I doing wrong and how can I use my burner to burn my files to it? Please help...

Thanks,

GRAPHICGIRL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:08 AM

Try going to the Device Manager, uninstall the drive, then reboot, and see if Windows will pick it up.
Right-click My Computer / Hardware tab / Device Manager button
Locate the drive, right-click it, and select Uninstall.
Reboot.

Have you tried updating the drivers?

See if one of these helps:
How to troubleshoot common problems that may occur when a Windows XP-based computer cannot read a CD or a DVD
How to Troubleshoot CD-ROM or DVD -ROM Read Issues
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 buckoo-ziwei

buckoo-ziwei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:25 AM

Dear tq1911

Thank you for your reply. My DVD burner does not have an updated driver. I have been to the two articles that you mentioned and also uinstalled the DVD burner. I have done almost everything (what else have I forgotten from the list of what to do in the two articles...I must have been blind if I did forget to look, read, do what the article said to do that applies to my burner...) still no go. My burner still report that it is full, whether the drive has a DVD or not. If I put a music CD or movie video, it plays...but putting a blank CD or DV? -- so I can copy some files from my computer to the CD or DVD just doesn't work as it reports that it has 0 files, 0 space. No problem putting a file from the CD or DVD to the hard drive....but the other way around just isn't possible as it reports that my disc is full.

if I cannot find an answer here, I do not know what else to do but throw this thingamagig out and buy a new one. My husband and I called Gateway technical support but they are not helpful at all. Hence this call for help from this group.

I sincerely hope I did not waste your time...and thanks again for the prompt reply.

graphicgirl.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:39 AM

You weren't wasting my time, buckoo-ziwei.
That's what we're here for.
Maybe someone else, will come up with some other suggestions, for you.
Just give it a little time. :thumbsup:

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:47 PM

Windows doesn't nativley recognize blank DVD's via its intergrated burning software. A DVD will always, no matter what brand of burner or DVD, come up emptyon Windows XP. What you need to do is download burning software. I highly suggest Nero, being that it worked for me, but there are plenty other free ones that you can use. (link)

This should solve your problem and let you burn DVDs. If it doesn't work or you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users