Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Uninstall Extra Audio Drivers?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheresaMarie

TheresaMarie

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:58 AM

After I reformatted my laptop, my sound stopped working. It would play the "beep" that a person usually gets when an error occurs, but no other sound, such as music. I asked my brother to try and fix it, as he knows a lot more about computers than me. Unfortunately, he could not fix it, and ended up installing extra audio hardware. I do not want to ask him to try and uninstall the drivers because I am scared that he'll make it worse. Currently, my Sound, Video, and Game Controllers section of device manager looks like this.

Posted Image

When I clicked on the properties for the first (starting from the top) Audio Codecs, it looks like this.

Posted Image

The second Audio Codecs looks like this.

Posted Image

The first two Legacy Audio Drivers look like this.

Posted Image

The only thing different with the the second Legacy Audio Drivers is that instead of ROOT/MEDIA/0000, it is ROOT/MEDIA/0002 in the details section. And finally, the the third Legacy Audio Drivers looks like this.

Posted Image

Can anyone please help me with this? And if anyone is able to, can someone tell me how to fix my sound? Thanks in advance.

P.S. - I may be able to provide more information about my problem, but please be patient with me. I know almost nothing about computers so I may not understand what kind of information is needed.

Edited by TheresaMarie, 26 June 2007 - 03:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:11 AM

Go to back to device manager. Uninstall all of your Legacy Audio Drivers. Reboot the computer. The computer will find it on reboot. "Found new hardware" wizard will open. Reinstall the drivers, reboot your computer again.
Post back and let us know what happens and if you have your sound back.

#3 TheresaMarie

TheresaMarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:26 PM

How do I uninstall them though? If you look at the fourth picture, the uninstall button is faded and unclickable.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:34 PM

Try this. Highlight the entry. Now look up at the toolbar of the device manager. If you see a picture of a computer with an X through it, uninstall from there.

#5 TheresaMarie

TheresaMarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:40 PM

There is no computer with an X through it. I have the options to:

-Show/Hide Console Tree
-Properties
-Print
-Help
-Scan For Hardware Changes
-Update Driver

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:46 PM

I have no idea what to suggest now. Hopefully others will offer something to help you solve this issue.

#7 TheresaMarie

TheresaMarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:08 PM

Okay well thanks for trying to help me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users