Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Help Guys! Start Up Problem!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stevebob206

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:17 AM

Okay. So.

Today, I decided to have a little fun and install Ubuntu...and I did.

anyways, so when I install it. I realized I did the partitions wrong...leaving windows only 290MB left of space. oh boy.

So I went into windows and deleted the partition.....and restarted my computer.

Start up my computer....and goes into Grub 1.5 and says

"ERROR 17"

okay....so. If I just put in my windows install disk....clear everything....and reinstall windows, should everything be fine?

or do I need to do something else.

I hate that grub thing. I never want to see that again.

please respond! thanks!

oh, and I have Windows XP professional....if that really matters. lol.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:37 AM

stevebob, you don't have to jump straight to a full reformat/reinstall right away.

Boot to your Windows CD, and at the first screen press 'R' to log in to the recovery console.

Once at the command prompt type "fixmbr" (sans quotes) and press enter. This will attempt to rewrite the master boot record and should allow you to boot straight back into windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users