Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Ram Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WOLVERINE1

WOLVERINE1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:00 AM

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this site and I think its a great place to share info. about problems we face and discuss fixes for them. Ok, now getting to the point, I have just upgraded my ACER Aspire 5050 AWXMi (running Win XP PRO+SP2) to 4GB DDR-2 RAM but when I check my system properties the RAM shows only 3 GB though I checked the BIOS and it shows 4GB. Can somebody please help me with this. Do I need to get a BIOS update for this, I've tried ACER's website but there's no update listed for the BIOS. Has anyone faced this kind of problem?

Thanks a lot,
Richard!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:09 AM

The four gig of ram is recognized in the bios, the ram is ok. Windows XP 32 bit will only recognize about 3 gig to 3.5 gig, depends on the machine. The 64 bit version of XP can recognize up to 128 gig.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 WOLVERINE1

WOLVERINE1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:34 AM

The four gig of ram is recognized in the bios, the ram is ok. Windows XP 32 bit will only recognize about 3 gig to 3.5 gig, depends on the machine. The 64 bit version of XP can recognize up to 128 gig.

Thanks for that, also found this load of info. from [topic="Microsoft"]http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx[/topic] ...has anyone tried adding a 3GB switch as instructed below in the boot.ini file??

Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 Memory Support. The maximum amount of memory that can be supported on Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 is also 4 GB. However, Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition supports 32 GB of physical RAM and Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition supports 64 GB of physical RAM using the PAE feature.

The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file. When the physical RAM in the system exceeds 16 GB and the /3GB switch is used, the operating system will ignore the additional RAM until the /3GB switch is removed. This is because of the increased size of the kernel required to support more Page Table Entries. The assumption is made that the administrator would rather not lose the /3GB functionality silently and automatically; therefore, this requires the administrator to explicitly change this setting.

The /3GB switch allocates 3 GB of virtual address space to an application that uses IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE in the process header. This switch allows applications to address 1 GB of additional virtual address space above 2 GB.

The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB, unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file. The following example shows how to add the /3GB parameter in the Boot.ini file to enable application memory tuning:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="????" /3GB

Note: "????" in the previous example can be the programmatic name of any of the following operating system versions:

Windows XP Professional
Windows Server 2003
Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
Windows NT Server 4.0, Enterprise Edition

#4 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:39 AM

I have not ever tried that, but I can say that even if that does work, XP Pro (32bit) will not manage that much RAM efficiently at all.

#5 WOLVERINE1

WOLVERINE1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:03 AM

thanks a lot guys! appreciate the help..though if someone could lemme know if they've tried this and it worked for them id be even more grateful.
One more thing guys, can I upgrade to XP x64 or do i have to do a clean install ..does it have any file system dependancies?

Edited by WOLVERINE1, 26 June 2007 - 02:07 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:54 AM

I've seen the switch used on a couple of systems - but it doesn't seem to do anything that not using the switch won't do. I've also found (at least in my copy of Vista) that that /PAE is added automatically when Windows notices that the RAM limit has been exceeded. I seem to recall the same behavior in some copies of XP - but am not real sure about that. I'd suspect that the switch comes in handy on systems that are having issues with the overabundance of RAM - and that it's not an issue on those that can deal with it normally (sorta like a compatibility fix).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:39 PM

the switch that you mentioned is only effective for applications that use larger amounts of ram, such as a large database, the program must also have PAE recognition built in. Most applications that are 32 bit do not have this, so adding the switch to the boot.ini has no effect other than slowing down the machine slightly.

I have actually used the boot.ini switch on one of my clients machine. Ended up with page_file_write_invalid and memory access violation from some 32 bit apps, and I had to remove the switch

XP PRO 64 Bit needs a clean install.

#8 WOLVERINE1

WOLVERINE1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:14 PM

the switch that you mentioned is only effective for applications that use larger amounts of ram, such as a large database, the program must also have PAE recognition built in. Most applications that are 32 bit do not have this, so adding the switch to the boot.ini has no effect other than slowing down the machine slightly.

I have actually used the boot.ini switch on one of my clients machine. Ended up with page_file_write_invalid and memory access violation from some 32 bit apps, and I had to remove the switch

XP PRO 64 Bit needs a clean install.

yep, your absolutely right..i applied the switch and it din do bleep!! :thumbsup: guess il have to do a clean install of x64..crap!! thanks for the work around guys!

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:50 PM

Make sure that you download ALL your drivers before you do anything. Also with your laptop only having 4 gig, the additional 140 ish that you have to spend is not worth the extra cost, IMO. Vista also has 64bit versions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users