Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Playstation 2 Help

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:55 PM

Is there a firmware update or something for the Playstaion 2? The reason I ask is some games will load and play fine, while others won't play at all. Specifically, God Of War 2, it will not load, or even spin. I've tried 4 different GOW2 games. None will play. Are there region codes on playstation games?

The strange thing is my The Playstation 2 won't play God Of War 1 either. And it played it fine a year ago. But now it won't load GOW. Weird.

I'm guessing the playstation is on it's way out. But can anyone tell me why it won't play GOW? And plays everything else?

None of the games have scratches.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:27 PM

There are Region Codes on Playstation games but I think your issue is that the lens is dirty or the assembly is wearing out.
These were common issues with the original design PS2. the Slim line is supposed to be better. Also if you have your PS2 mounted vertically the parts will wear out quicker, if your PS2 is vertical try setting it down horizontally and vice versa. (It seems that the 2 positions wear on different parts of the assembly .

Posted Image

#3 cliver

cliver

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:47 AM

There isnt any firmware updates for ps2. You must have one of the first generation ps2's where the lens goes bad. Does all your other games work fine?

#4 12x48y

12x48y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:10 AM

Yes all the other games work fine. I only have about a dozen games or so, but they all play. This PS2 is the slim line, and I always have it the horizontal position. I have a GOW1 game saved on the memory card.

I'm stumped. :thumbsup:

Right now I'm playing Grand Theft Auto, SA, and its working fine. Strange isn't it?

A PS2 is just basically a DVD player right?? Would I be correct in assuming that it reads a code (Or autoplay??)on the game disc, that spins the disc, and loads the game?? Because, it's not doing that with GOW.

#5 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:03 PM

You are right in assuming that it reads a code. I really don't think this issue has anything to do with your discs or software of the PS2. The PS2s, for what they are, have a pretty solid OS and only in rare occasions does the software end of the playstation cause issues with games. You said you tried different discs of the same game, right? and you said none of them worked? Try playing those games on a different PS2, say your friends just to try it out. If it works on a different one but not yours, than you know its a hardware problem.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:56 PM

I am currently on PS2 #5 for me. I have never had a issue with the software its always hardware. There are 3 separate PS2 disc styles (blue-backed, silver-backed, and black-backed) each one reacts differently to the lens sometime one style will play but others wont. A quick fix that may get you playing again is to use a DVD drive cleaner disc. Back before we upgraded to the the PS2.2 me and my friends had to clean ours weekly to get them to continue to play.

BTW: if you still have one with an I-link on it (and it hasnt been reconned) you may consider upgrading to the newer PS2s (I think there are actually 4 different ones out there. Japanese(original US Shipments), I-Link (second wave of shipments), Non I-link, and the slimline(current).

Posted Image

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:05 PM

I got my PS2 in 2001 and haven't had any issues, but you can tell that it's wearing out especially with the disc tray. I have heard of the slim PS2's having issues. Their hardware is not exactly like the original PS2 and it may cause problems.

3939.png

#8 12x48y

12x48y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:48 PM

Quote___________________________________________
You said you tried different discs of the same game, right?

Yeah, the first two GOW2 were rented from my local Movie Gallery,
The next was purchased from Wallmart as a fathers day gift, I exchanged it for another GOW2.
None worked. And neither does my old GOW1.

Quote_______________________________________________________________
Try playing those games on a different PS2, say your friends just to try it out.
If it works on a different one but not yours, than you know its a hardware problem.

The only person I know with a PS2 is my son, and his is broke. :thumbsup:

Quote_______________________________________________________________
BTW: if you still have one with an I-link on it (and it hasnt been reconned) you may
consider upgrading to the newer PS2s (I think there are actually 4 different ones
out there).
Japanese(original US Shipments), I-Link (second wave of shipments), Non I-link,
and the slimline(current).

I bought this one last year (slim line) to replace my old one. I believe the old one was the
Japanese original. Not 100% sure. I'm still trying to decide if I want the PS3, or not.

I guess I'll try the DVD cleaner disc, and check around to see who has a PS2.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:14 PM

I can pick up a PS2 (old styles) Refurbished or Reconditioned (no real difference between the 2 names just depends on the store) for about $80 and a Slimline for around $100. http://www.ebgames.com/search.asp?N=139+83. I always keep a spare system around (I have 1 of each major PS release currently) because some games will play on one style but not on the others but I havent heard of any backwards compatibility issues with the PS3 but Im sure there are some. (Example Tekken2 from Japan will play on the original PS but not on the PSOne or any PS2, Some Blue-backed Discs will not play on slimline PS2's)

Posted Image

#10 12x48y

12x48y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:50 PM

I can pick up a PS2 (old styles) Refurbished or Reconditioned (no real difference between the 2 names just depends on the store) for about $80 and a Slimline for around $100. http://www.ebgames.com/search.asp?N=139+83. I always keep a spare system around (I have 1 of each major PS release currently) because some games will play on one style but not on the others but I havent heard of any backwards compatibility issues with the PS3 but Im sure there are some. (Example Tekken2 from Japan will play on the original PS but not on the PSOne or any PS2, Some Blue-backed Discs will not play on slimline PS2's)

Wow, all these compatability issues. WTH.

I think the DVD drive disc cleaner might work. It would seem that the problem is isolated to my PS2.
No one else had a problem (except me) at the Movie Gallery where I rented the first two GOW2 games.

GOW1 played fine a while ago on this same slimline. now it doesn't.

The GOW2 is a silver backed, as are all my others, so it should play. Sooo, I think she's dying.

I'm leaning towards the PS3 if the dvd drive disc cleaner don't work.

#11 cliver

cliver

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:39 AM

Yeah you should get a ps3 or a 360......or both. :thumbsup:

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:25 PM

I got a PS3 in May and I'm really enjoying it...but not for the PS3 games as there aren't many good ones in the genre I like (RPG) yet. However, with the recent firmware upgrades, you can stream media to it from a PC, use anti-aliasing to make PS2 games appear better (similar to what the PS2 did to PSOne games), it's quieter than a PS2, and compatibility with other PlayStation platforms have been increased. I've played Xenosaga III and Final Fantasy XII for hours with the anti-aliasing on without any problems. If it wasn't so ridiculously expensive I would recommend it.

3939.png

#13 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:33 PM

...use anti-aliasing to make PS2 games appear better (similar to what the PS2 did to PSOne games), it's quieter than a PS2, and compatibility with other PlayStation platforms have been increased. I've played Xenosaga III and Final Fantasy XII for hours with the anti-aliasing on without any problems.

:thumbsup: Oddly enough the 2 games I'm putting through right now. I always thought that PS1 games looked worse on the PS2 system (but then again I got a bigger TV when I got the PS2).

Any major defects on the PS3 ? (Damaging discs, overheating) (I know the 360 had a long list when it was first released)

Posted Image

#14 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:27 PM

For me no. The fans do run louder than what some may say especially when running Folding@Home for the PS3 but it's quieter than a PS2 or XBOX 360. Any time you get a larger screen, the image gets stretched so you'll be able to see every little defect. If you get one and plan on using the DVD function with it, get the remote control, it is so much easier to use with downloaded movies and DVD's than the sixaxis.

3939.png

#15 12x48y

12x48y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:53 AM

Yeah you should get a ps3 or a 360......or both. :thumbsup:

That's what my wife says, "Just get both". But there's not a lot games yet for either.

My son just bought the Xbox 360. He likes it, the graphics are awesome,
but, since he's not a big fan of "first person shooters", he's scrounging for games.

Can someone recommend a DVD drive cleaner disc? Something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Playstation-DVD...t/dp/B00005MDZ7

Edited by 12x48y, 28 June 2007 - 08:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users