Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backdoor.prorat Virus Detected By Norton 2007

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rowdy451

rowdy451

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:28 PM

Hi, I am new to virus problems(but not to computers...some limited knowledge of how things work, but I'm no expert)so here it goes.
I have a new HP with Windows Vista Home Premium(32 Bit) with Muvee AutoProducer 5.0 and Norton Internet Security 2007(not the greatest anti virus, but came with PC).

Norton Auto Update recently udated the virus definitions and Quarintined/fixed a supposed Backdoor.Prorat trojan virus. This fix removed my muveeapp.exe file which originated with my Muvee AutoProducer 5.0 and I can no longer acces/run Muvee. Before this virus update I was able to use the Muvee application with no problems.

I contacted Muvee support and they said "Currently, we have some cases reported from users regarding viruses. Please do not be alarmed. You may have to either update your virus definitions or contact the virus scanner tech support to release a fix to your issue. Simple send them the so called "affected" file and they will check for you. Please inform that the file originate from muvee application.
Some virus scanners might have virus definitions list which the file name "muveeapp.exe" was included thus cause the effect."

I have updated virus definitions, this did not work, still shows file as infected.
I tried to submit the file and Norton would not accept it(they had a FAQ on the Backdoor.prorat it suggests to remove the infected file completely).
The Norton help file said "If you received this product when you purchased your computer, your computer manufacturer may be responsible for providing your support."

I checked with HP, all support is through Norton/Symantec.

If I remove this file I will no longer be able to use my Muvee application which came preinstalled on PC.

Now my questions are:
Is the "trojan virus" real?
If trojan virus is real what else can I do so that I am able to use my Muvee Application?
If trojan virus is not real, can I restore the file out of Quarintine safely?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users