Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Coolwebsearch; How To Get Rid?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 a great person

a great person

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

Hi.

How do I get rid of this? I've tried everything, including installing the CWShredder, but it automatically closes any windows of this (and anything regarding anti-virus).

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:05 PM

Hi a great person,

Follow these instructions by PC Hell; How do I Remove This Homepage Hijacker.

As with any Registry Edit, be sure and do a back-up first.
Demystifying the Windows Registry.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 a great person

a great person
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for your help! However, whenever I click on the link (or any other link), CoolWebSearch automatically shuts it down. Therefore, I have no way of downloading anti-virus software or anything! Any suggestions? Should I run computer on safe mode?

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:11 PM

Sure.

In the link I have provided, step one is to start your computer in Safe Mode. Hopefully then you'll be able to access this link.

1) Start Windows in Safe Mode by pressing F8 as the computer is booting and choosing Safe Mode

Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 a great person

a great person
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:17 PM

Well, I couldn't open your link and see what it said, and also,I've tried to run it on safe mode, but it still doens't work! It keeps on shutting it down... i ran the old version of cwshredder and it said that cws had a trojan that shut down all the files related to removing cws, but it keeps on doing this! should i just start over and reinstall everything?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:30 PM

Before doing that Follow these instructions L@@K and post a log by clicking on new topic. An expert there will get you cleaned up.

Edited by boopme, 26 June 2007 - 07:31 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 a great person

a great person
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:20 AM

Hello boopme, the problem is that whenever I open anytihng related to cleaning coolwebsearch out, it automatically shuts it down because there's a component of CWS that shuts down any windows related to cleaning it out, so I don't know what the link is...

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:34 AM

Can you install the Hijackthis program as instructed in above link and then just post those results into the forum?? Here by clicking new topic and give it a title

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Edited by boopme, 27 June 2007 - 08:34 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:01 AM

I've read in the Hijackthis Forum, that you may have to rename the Hijackthis program in order to get your computer to accept it and run it.
Can you get there a great person?
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#10 a great person

a great person
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:35 PM

Hello,

No I can't. Once the CWS identifies it as anti-spyware, it automatically shuts it down. I can't download any scanners or programs to remove it, including hijackthis. Apparently, this is a component of CWS called SmartSearcher, but I don't know how to get rid of it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:56 PM

Have you tried the tool in the link below?
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4113.html
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#12 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:54 PM

If Buddys link doesn't work for you either, how about uninstalling CWShredder just until you get rid of CoolWebSearch.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users