Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Internet Connection Sharing Settings

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:16 PM

Because I know you can't get enough of my questions... :trumpet: :inlove: :cool: (But I am trying to make sure I'm as secure as I can be...)

For my dial-up in Windows XP SP2, Network Connections > Properties > Advanced:

Under "Internet Connection Sharing" I have "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" UNCHECKED. (I am not part of a network, just have a laptop with dial-up with two separate logons.) Having this unchecked seems to be a good idea security-wise, I'd think...

However, while investigating some other stuff, I noticed that even though that was UNCHECKED, the two boxes underneath it:

Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the Interent

Allow other network users to control or disable the shared Internet connection

...were CHECKED, but "greyed out" so you can't click them.

I'm *guessing* that it doesn't matter that they're checked because the first one ("Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection") is UNCHECKED. But, just to be safe, I went ahead and CHECKED "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" so I could access those other two boxes, then UNCHECKED those, then RE-UNCHECKED "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection", so now all three are UNCHECKED.

Was that okay to do? Were those other two not valid even though they were checked since the first was unchecked? Should I set it back with those two checked (but greyed out) with "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" unchecked, like I first had it?

Does any of this even matter? :thumbsup:

Thanks! :flowers:

Edited by bloomcounty, 25 June 2007 - 03:17 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:27 PM

Having the first one unchecked was good enough...but now you can be sure. :thumbsup:

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:31 PM

That's what I was kinda thinking... But thinking about it too much was my first mistake! :flowers:

Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users