Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm Am Going To Shoot This Frigging Computer...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 happigirlcherl

happigirlcherl

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:32 PM

Please let there be someone on here to help me b4 I completely go insane. I have an Inspiron 5150 (Dell) laptop. I did think I would ever use it again...(haha on me) so I always let me kids 14, 10, and 9 use it to play games, access internet, etc....
anywho...
now...
the log on screen comes on, i key in the password. the screen goes black, it plays the boot up tune, and then the screen goes blue, then NOTHING....
there is NOTHING TO SEE. not even the start icon. I have tried EVERYTHING...even putting it in safe mode.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:51 PM

Do you have an external monitor that you could connect to it to see if the video has gone wonky? Try that and let us know what happens.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:15 PM

Can you hit the f12 key during the dell splash screen to start the boot menu?, if you can select the line for diagnostics and hit enter. let us know the results.

so I always let me kids 14, 10, and 9 use it to play games, access internet, etc....

sounds like malware, but the dell diagnostics will give enough results to know if you have a hardware or a software issue.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 happigirlcherl

happigirlcherl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:35 PM

Everything under the diagnostics passed...any other suggestions...

#5 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:40 PM

Almost sounds like your profile is set to use a different monitor (the vga output on the back of the laptop)

once you are logged in, try pressing Fn + F8 (crt/lcd) a few times, several seconds apart.

#6 happigirlcherl

happigirlcherl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:44 PM

k...i'll try...
it blinks black then back to blue then nothing...still a blank screen. however, i can access the task manager now and it shows nothing except just the processes that are running...

Edited by happigirlcherl, 25 June 2007 - 03:47 PM.

#7 happigirlcherl

happigirlcherl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:15 PM

geeezzzzzz...i've tried everything i can think of guys...what i can figure is the system is running. the screen is fine. so i don't know what else to do...am i missing something here

#8 sbrown.uk

sbrown.uk

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:18 PM

i can access the task manager now and it shows nothing except just the processes that are running.

What Tasks are running?

When youve got Task Manager open, click on File > New Task(Run) > type in explorer.exe > click OK
That should start the Windows' explorer shell and allow you to get to your sysytem security programs and the like.
Once weve got explorer.exe running we can start to tackle the beast
let us know.

Edited by sbrown.uk, 25 June 2007 - 05:20 PM.

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:36 PM

This machine sure sounds like it is loaded with malware, as the hardware diagnostics passed. When you pulled up the boot menu was there an option for system recovery? Remember, do not run the system recovery if there is anything important on this computer.

Edited by oldf@rt, 25 June 2007 - 08:37 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#10 happigirlcherl

happigirlcherl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:13 PM

:thumbsup: gathered some friends...got it worked out.
:flowers: i'm so happy i have my desktop showing again.

now though i can't connect back to the internet even though i did the entire set up thing-a-ma-jiga....i know i had an internal card for wireless. how do i find it again...
i appreciate you guys helping me...i'm glad there are smart people in this world....

#11 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:07 PM

Hi happygirlcherl.

You could try this. Hold down the Windows icon key (between Ctrl and Alt) and at the same time press PAUSE - way up on the top right. This should bring up the SYSTEM PROPERTIES window. Click on HARDWARE and then on DEVICE MANAGER. Click on the + beside NETWORK ADAPTERS and right click on the WIRELESS (it should mention something about 802.11)>select UNINSTALL, and get out of there. Then reboot your computer and Windows should find it and reinstall the necessaries.

Let's know how you get on. Good luck.

PS. Everyone's smart - just in different areas. LOL

Edited by rowal5555, 25 June 2007 - 10:12 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users