Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sbq

sbq

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 09:47 PM

As the SysAdmin of my home network of three Windows PCs, with three teenagers and my wife downloading like crazy, I've dealt with a few viruses in the last few years. Sometimes I think each of my family members have an account on www.DownloadSpyware.com (jk).

Over the last few months I've been keeping the machines fairly virus/spyware/adware free. I run Adaware SE, Spybot S&D, and AVG antivirus on all three machine regularly. I also have Norton AV and Spysweeper running on the most heavily used machine (they're not everywhere because they cost money).

The parents of one of my sons' basketball teammates were singing the blues about viruses on their computer. I offered to go over and try to help (I welcomed the opportunity -- most people need help with plumbing or carpentry or stuff like that and I am all thumbs). I made a brief foray to their house last week and their computer does indeed have a serious problem. I brought a few programs with me on CD: HijackThis 1.99, Adaware SE, Spybot S&D and had some interesting experiences.

When I ran HijackThis, it crashed (same way, every time I ran it). Is version 1.99 flakey? Further "research" leads me to suspect that their machine may be infected with sophisticated malware that are causing these crashes (see http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html near the top).

When I ran Adaware SE, it started up ok, but within 30 seconds a Windows notification popped up that a program was trying to do a remote procedure call and the machine was going to reboot, which it did. I ran Adaware twice and got the exact same behavior (tantalizingly, Adaware was able to find over 700 items in the 90 seconds or so before the machine was rebooted). I believe this auto-reboot is another symptom of sophisticated infections trying to prevent removal software from running.

If you've read this far you're probably thinking, "get to the point, man!" I've spent time today girding my loins for battle with their spyware/adware/virus-infected PC in a couple of days and stumbled across bleepingcomputer.com. Since I downloaded Option^Explicit's KillBox from this site, I thought I'd check you guys out.

Keep up the good work.

-sbq

PS: It has taken quite a bit of effort (google'ing around) to re-familiarize myself with the viruses and their cures. Good ol' VX2 is still around I see.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 23 January 2005 - 12:40 AM

Given the description of the problems on that computer, it might JUST be time to reinstall Windows afresh. Did you run those spyware applications in Safe Mode?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 23 January 2005 - 03:08 AM

I'm thinking you did download the smartkiller for your second go at it. good.
With large infection volume, sometimes you must satisfy your self using
the programs to diminish slowly, in stages, the bad files.

For instance, in that tantalizing 90 seconds, you might catch locations of
folders full o' bleep or names you can track down to folders in program files
on the hard drive. Use Add/Remove programs to take out the major offenders as
a first step.

Also, switch the sequence of use.
Maybe try the spybot S&D first.
Perhaps the VX2 plug-in only in Ad-Aware before the main scan.
Try online scans to see if they'll reduce the carnage some.
Use microsoft anti-spyware, too.
The Beta 1 is basically Giant's program.
I've been having good results with it, and
hearing of other's also. It's free now.
It'll likely slay several, perhaps enough to
get the others to reduce the volume enough
so they can be effective.

We try to get the heavy, multiple infections
down to just the bare-essentials... the one(s)
that are persistant.
Then target them for special tool deployment.

Or, if you have the patience & CD's to reformat teenager's personal computers,
without losing any of their data & program functionality.....

BTW,
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/9142/microsoft-anti-spyware-beta-1/
is a good article to read.
Kinda like Sports Illustrated of the malware League. :thumbsup:

Oh, and :flowers: to BC "ComputerDad" sbq Your expertise will continue to
maintain domestic tranquility in the neighboorhood no doubt.
We the Internet users applaud your efforts.

Edited by phawgg, 23 January 2005 - 03:18 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users