Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg 7.5.476

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:18 AM

I brought my PC out of standby this morning, and within the first few seconds, my Comodo firewall asks for permission to allow AVG updater to access the internet. I found that odd, as AVG has long had full access, but I went ahead and allowed it. When it was finished, I brought up AVG, and in the scheduler section, the update time had changed from 4:29 p.m., which it had been set at for months, to 4:44 a.m. 4:44 a.m. was the exact time that what I just described had happened this morning. I closed AVG, and it appeared to shut down completely (the icon in the notification tray disappeared). Whether it actually did or not, I am not sure, as I immediately opened it again through the start menu. But I have NEVER seen the tray icon disappear before.

Now, I did change the automatic scan time for the first time in months just this weekend (it might have been Saturday, but I think that I did it yesterday), and I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

I am always concerned when a security program (AV, AS, Firewall, etc.) does something unusual. Therefore, any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:06 AM

Try rebooting if you haven't done so.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:54 PM

I turn my PC off every day when I go to work (I see no reason to waste electricity), so now that I am home for the night, my PC has obviously been rebooted. Anyway, I must admit that I am a little confused. What was this supposed to tell me? The only thing that I can think of is that you might have been concerned that AVG would not start; but, it did. I had already changed the automatic updater back to a time that I desired, and it took.

Something did happen, though. When the time came this evening for AVG to update, my Comodo firewall popped up yet again asking for permission to allow AVG to connect.

I've noticed that AVG's pop-ups are few and far between. (Examples: no notices when an automatically scheduled scan has been completed, or that the latest definitions have been downloaded.)

Did AVG install a new version, and I just didn't receive any notifications of it?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:19 PM

I have AVG FREE antivirus. Today, Zone Alarm notified me that the email scanner in AVG wanted internet access. I think there might have been something in the updates that caused this.

The reason I asked if you had rebooted since the icon went AWOL is because you only mentioned bringing it out of standby.
Did the AVG icon return?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:28 PM

Yes, it did. I owe an apology because I actually was about to leave for work this morning, when I started this thread, and I typed up a "condensed" post that lacked details. When the icon disappeared, I went into a bit of a "panic mode", and did the first thing that came to mind. (It is, after all, one of the single most important programs on a PC!) I restarted AVG immediately from my All Programs list in my Start menu. (By the way, my OS is Windows XP Home SP2.) The icon reappeared as soon as I did so.

Reflecting on this, I think that the first thing I actually should have done was lock the firewall. Oh, well... no harm, no foul.

Being that you experienced an oddity as well, I believe that I will just chalk this up as a "glitch" at this time. Thank you for taking the time to assist me.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:40 PM

The fact that your firewall had to be reset indicates that the automatic update may have included a system update as well as a definition update.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:13 PM

I noticed this morning, that there were more files being updated, than usual.
The ones in red, are the files that aren't usually included, in the daily updates.
That might be, what triggered your firewall.

Posted Image
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:54 AM

Thank you for all the replies. Nothing rattles the nerves regarding one's PC as when a security program acts funny. As we all know, malware loves to try to do this. Tg1911's post, along with John's comment, certainly offers a logical, plausible explanation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users