Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sxs.dll: Syntax Error In Manifest Of Policy File

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 super goku

super goku

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:04 AM

Hello,

When I try to install Windows XP Pro onto my new computer, I get the following error:

SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\I386\asms\52\Policy\MSFT\Windows\Networking\RTCDLL\RTCDLL.MAN on line 0

Manifest parse Error

Invalid at the top level of the document

I thought it was the CD that was scratched but I burned the OS on a different CD and the same error occurs. I have done some testing and the hardrive is fine.

Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:40 AM

If it is an old hard drive you may have remnants of old software. Try a "Quick Wipe" then install XP.

Kill Disk
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:50 AM

It appears that there's an issue with the dll recognizing your networking software. Is this a genuine Microsoft CD, a manufacturer's CD, or one that you got from someone else?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 super goku

super goku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:22 AM

1- It is a new hard drive Western Digital Caviar
2- It is downloaded from the MSDN web-site? It is supposed to be a legit version of XP

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:44 PM

Since it's a download from the MSDN website - are you sure it's legitimate? I have a TechNet subscription and the access to it is pretty tightly controlled. I suspect that they monitor the downloads from there as well as they monitor the legitimacy of the retail copies of the software. Is the MSDN subscription current, and is the registered owner of the subscription same as that of the owner of the system that it's installed on?

If everything is legit, then I'd suggest trying another download from MSDN and recopying it to a CD for installation.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 super goku

super goku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:51 PM

I got the copy through a friend with a current subscription to MSDN just to install the Software however, I cannot even complete the installation process. I will be using my own valid licence key.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:55 PM

I'd suggest another download and making a new CD - if your CD key isn't the proper type for the download, then you're likely to have issues with the installation (but this specific error shouldn't (IMO) cause that). Which leads me to suspect that the download or copying to a CD was corrupted - once again calling for another, freshly made CD.

#8 super goku

super goku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:21 PM

I have tried 2 copies of the CD with SP2 and 1 copy with no SP and got the same errors. However I am able to install a non-lrgit copy which leaves to think that my hardrive is fine?

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:35 AM

I'd suspect that your hard drive was OK, but nothing is "certain" about this (otherwise it'd be working and you wouldn't be here :thumbsup:

I presume that the downloads for MSDN are similar to those at TechNet - and I've never had a coaster from them (I do use the Microsoft download manager). Since it appears that you've tried 2 separate downloads (w/SP2 and w/o an SP), I'd think that it was an incompatibility with some of your hardware - but it's just a guess on my part.

There's a difference between the other copy that you used and the MSDN copies - just what that difference is is (IMO) unknown, and it'll be darned difficult to compare all the files to see what that difference is. But that's what causes me to suspect a hardware compatibility issue.

To be thorough, I'd first test the system with Memtest86 and with a utility from your hard drive manufacturer, then I'd disconnect all devices except for 1 hard drive and one CD/DVD drive (disable any other onboard devices through the BIOS). (you'd have: Case, PSU, mobo, CPU and cooler, RAM, vidcard, keyboard, monitor, 1 hard drive, 1 CD/DVD drive only) and see if that works.

#10 super goku

super goku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:39 AM

If there was a hardware incompatibility, would the other Windows XP installation have gone through?

I do not have much on my computer, I only have 1 hardrive, 1 floppy drive, 1 CD/DVD writer...

Mobo: Asrock AliveNF6G-VSTA (Microsoft® Windows® 2000 / XP / XP Media Center / XP 64-bit compliant)

Could it be that it is my floppy drive?

Thank you
Goku

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:58 PM

I'm really reaching for suggestions here - it's more a matter of what I "feel" rather than what I "deduce". Just a hunch, in other words.

I suspect that the other version of XP has something that makes it different from the MSDN version. Since you've related that it's not legit, I can only guess as to what it might be. A file by file comparison (and a comparison of the files) may yield some info - but even if you do determine the issue, will the non-legit files corrupt your legit copy enough to make it not legit also?

It could be almost anything, that's why I suggested stripping everything out. With the minimum hardware present, you'll have eliminated a lot of the hardware as a potential source of the problem (but there'll still be some hardware left that is suspect). Disabling the onboard devices on the motherboard will remove a lot of them from the ranks of the "suspected" also.

Some suggestions from a google search for a part of the error message:
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/15875/
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-565378.php
http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/archive/index.php/t-30558.html
Please note that some of the links refer to other filenames in the error message, so the fix will also reflect the error message.

Probably the best link for real technical info: http://blogs.msdn.com/matt_pietrek/archive.../12/407752.aspx

All of this having been said, I still suspect a faulty CD - and the fix is to try other CD's. If the MSDN subscription is still current, redownload it and try burning it again.

Edited by usasma, 26 June 2007 - 06:02 PM.

#12 super goku

super goku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:08 PM

Hey usasma,

I acquired a new windows XP CD and it fixed my problems. I believe that the MSDN download is to be used on Dell computers only or perhaps it was just an erroneous download.

Thank you for your help, I have learned alot researching that problem!

Goku

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users