Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gabranth

Gabranth

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:08 PM

Hi, I recently had this computer running on Windows 98 Second Edition but I decided to get it upgraded to Windows XP Home Edition. Well the problem is that when I had Windows 98 when I clicked shutdown it would completly shutdown the computer, now with Windows XP Home when I click shutdown it closes Windows and goes to a black screen that says "It's now safe to shutdown your computer.", or something like that. I'm just wondering if there is a way to make the computer shutdown all the way when I click shutdown, rather than having to wait for it to close windows and then hold the button to make it shutdown. If anyone could help that would be great. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:15 PM

I cant be sure, but some older computers do not support all the power management features of XP. In some cases a bios update can cure this issue, in others it is not possible. We need some more information on the computer, Make, model if it is off the shelf, if it is a custom build, we need the full motherboard make and model Normally Belarc Advisor will give enough information,
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:41 AM

Some troubleshooting suggestions: http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users