Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Anyone Tell Me How To Make A Gif?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 monkpart9

monkpart9

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:45 PM

Does anyone know how to make a gif? Ya know one of those video files that play over and over again.
If you do things right, then people won't know if you've done anything at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:12 AM

You're thinking of an animated gif with a loop :flowers:

Any good photo editing programs can make them. Same as a video it uses frames which you need to assign and change yourself to make the image animated.

I use photoshop to animate sometimes but every time I save it as 'animated gif' or 'gif' it's just a still image.. :thumbsup:

A good free program for photo editing which HAS the ability to animate in frames is called GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program.

GIMP

Good Luck

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:06 AM

An animated GIF, is a file made up of layers of images, stacked one on top of the other.
In each layer, the image is a little bit different than the previous image.
So, when each image is "flipped through" at a given speed, the image appears to move, like the old flip-books we used to make as kids.
This is a rather simplistic explanation, but that's how it basically works.
Here's a YouTube vid that shows what I'm talking about:
[Flipbook]Action Study
This explains how it works:
The FLIP BOOK

So, the first thing you need to do, is create the images you want to use.
Next thing you need, is a program to "stitch" them together, so they look like an animation.
Then you need to decide if you want the animation to run through one time, or repeat over, and over (loop).
You'll also have to decide on the fps (frames per second, also known as Frame Delay), which will determine at what speed, the animation will move.
Once you have the images you want to use, a good, free, easy to use program, for joining, looping, and setting the fps, is UnFREEz.
Here's a tutorial on the basics of using UnFREEz.

What kind of gif are you interested in making?
What do you want to use it for?
If you could give us some kind of an idea, we might be able to suggest a better program, to use.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 monkpart9

monkpart9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:56 AM

My friend and I want to make videos and post them on the web but just as an introductory thing to each video we want to put a funny gif before every video starts as a trademark sorta thing. Sort like this company does with thier videos.---. (www.smosh.com)
If you do things right, then people won't know if you've done anything at all.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:36 PM

Then you would need a graphics program, to create the individual images, and a program to incorporate all of those images into a single gif.
You can check out the Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps topic, under the Graphics Design & Editing heading, for a graphics program.
The only ones in the list, that I know of, that will both do the graphics, and combine them into a gif, are Gimp and Blender.
Both have a pretty steep learning curve, for the first time user.

It might be easier to use one of the other graphics programs, to make the images, and then use UnFREEz, to join them.

Another program, that's not on the list, but I've been playing around with, is 3DPlus.
It's a very basic, not a lot of frills, 3D graphics program, that has the ability to create gif animations.
It's what I used, to make my avatar.
It's easy to learn, and also free.

Another program I've been wanting to try out, when I have some free time, is Movies 13.
You might want to check this one out, also.

.... a GIF-Animator with 98 animation wizards including text and actor wizards. Edit existing animations, create new from imported images or from images created with integrated Movies Draw. Features: GIF explorer, GIF optimizer, quick backgrounds, smart shape (100 shapes with 25 gradient fills, rotated text etc.), animate selected frames; 3 free floating actors for creating cartoons; actor and text wizards;actor paths; AVI to GIF and GIF to AVI converters. NEW: Movies script.

If you want to use stick figures, here's another free one, you may want to check out:
Pivot Stickfigure Animator
I haven't used it, yet, but hope to, one day. (when I get the time. :thumbsup:)

Hopefully, one of the above mentioned programs, will suit you needs.
I'm sure, searching some of the freeware sites, like snapfiles.com, download.com, softpedia.com, majorgeeks.com, or nonags.com, will turn up several other programs, that may be of interest.
It's just going to be a matter, of trying out different programs, and seeing what suits your style, the best.

Edited by tg1911, 25 June 2007 - 01:39 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 gunsta

gunsta

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:38 AM

Hello :thumbsup:

To make animated gif you need due tool's, first you hands second Video Avatar <=== i'm use this tool and in my opinion it's very good :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users