Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Copying Files Over Network

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rob h

Rob h

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:34 PM

I have 2 PCs, both decent spec desktops running XP SP2, internet is from Vigin Media cable set top box with Netgear wireless router, PC1 connects via cable ,PC2 connects wirelessly. Internet connection is fine on both PCs, both PCs can see each other and all shared drives, folders etc. The problem is that when I try to copy files from PC2 to PC1(while on PC1) after varying amounts of time and varying amounts of files copied PC1 crashes with a 0x000007e error code. When my daughter tried to copy files from her PC (PC2) to my PC (PC1) she lost all connection to the network. Any ideas? Oh, please feel free to treat me as a complete idiot with your replies as it saves my next post which will state that I am an idiot and dont understand your reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:27 AM

I would check the Event Viewer in the PC that crashes. Go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. In the left hand pane are several categories, click on each one and view the information in the right hand pane. Let us know any errors that you find around the time of the crashes.

Also check the one that doesn't crash - but it's less likely to have significant errors than the one that does crash.

Edited by usasma, 25 June 2007 - 05:28 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Rob h

Rob h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:41 AM

Event viewer is where I got the 0x000007e code from, it is the only error around the time of the crashes. To get a more complete error message I will need to see what is on the BSOD but at the moment it does an auto restart, how do I change the setting for this?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:28 PM

Nope, don't need to see the BSOD for more info (unless you can spot a file name in it (which may not be there, or may be irrelevant to our search). I'd suggest you look for files ending in .dmp or .mdmp on your hard drive. If you find them, try this link to run an analysis of them and post the results back to this thread: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

PS - sorry I missed the initial mention of the STOP 0x7e message - I'm a bit visually impaired and sometimes (all too frequently) miss things.

Edited by usasma, 26 June 2007 - 06:29 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Rob h

Rob h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:01 PM

I wont actually paste the results of the minidump analysis, unless you think it would help. It is easier just to put the final line of all three:
Probably caused by : memory corruption

I presume this is pointing at my RAM, and again I presume this will mean taking out the three modules I have fitted and then try them one at a time to see which one is at fault. Recently when I had some other BSOD problems I ran memtest86 and it showed no faults, since then I have fitted a new hard drive and new install of windows as it turned out to be windows that was corrupted on the original drive. Could a fault in the RAM cause a windows corruption?
I still dont understand why it would only crash when doing one specific task when other more memory hungry tasks run perfectly well.

It may be some time before I can get round to testing all of this as work pressures mean I get little time at home but I will post with how I get along.

#6 Rob h

Rob h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:15 PM

Now I am getting more confused!
I just tried copying some files over from my daughters pc, from her end. My pc locks up, desktop still there but no response to mouse and ctrl alt del. Reboot and check event log to find nothing, check for new minidump file find nothing.
Try copying files from my daughters pc to mine from my end. On the 3rd folder my pc crashes to a black screen, no response to anything, have to reboot, nothing in event log and no new minidump file so nothing to analyse as to what went wrong, I am starting to hate my pc.

UPDATE!
After running memtest86 for 6 passes with no errors I stopped it and rebooted the pc, went out for a while only to find a BSOD on my return. Full analysis of the dump file still says it is a memory coruption. I will now begin to take out some of my RAM and try to eliminate that.
I have also tried another network adaptor to try to eliminate that aspect and I still get a failure so I gues it isnt that.
I have noticed that the screen seems to flicker quite noticably when I first log on, which it didnt before, maybe I will have to fork out for a new graphics card to try that. Is it an easy job to remove and replace the graphics card, some advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Rob h, 29 June 2007 - 12:35 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:33 AM

The results of the minidump analysis will help - memory corruption can be caused by drivers accessing memory in an unapproved way. Most commonly (in the error message) there will be a reference to C0000005 - that's a reference to an improper memory access. So, for example, if a driver accesses memory improperly, it can corrupt what's in that memory space - and Windows will report it as being corrupted.

This doesn't mean that your memory is bad - it can be corruption of the data in it, or it can even be corruption in your pagefile (which is on your hard drive). The full analysis of the minidump file (including the output with the !analyze -v switch) will help to isolate where this is occurring. Then we can make some educated guesses as to where it's coming from.

Right now (because of the STOP 0x7e error message), the possibilities are most likely:
- hardware incompatibility
- a faulty device driver
- a faulty system service
- software issues

So, the other questions we'll ask are:
Have you installed any new hardware or drivers recently?
Have you modified the operating system in any way recently (to include Windows Updates)
Have you installed/modified any programs recently?

#8 Rob h

Rob h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:41 AM

Things got worse on Friday, my scheduled run of Norton checkup started to report hard disc errors and registry errors and recommended running checkdisc. I ran checkdisc and it found a lot of problems, after fixing these my pc booted back up ok for about half an hour before locking up. When I restarted the pc windows loaded ok but took a long tiome to show my desktop icons and when it finally did nothing I tried would let me launch any programs or explore any drives.
I now have a brand new pc running windows vista so that I can carry on functioning, ie work internet email etc. I will now strip my old pc back to bare bones and rebuild/re-install but this wil take me some time. Thanks for all of your help, no doubt I will need to post again if I can isolate any of the problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users