Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Has Encountered An Error And Needs To Close

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ozzy84

Ozzy84

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:03 PM

Greetings,

Well I'll dive straight in. I hope some of you can help me!

For a few days, this message has been coming up on my screen:

Posted Image

I have noticed that the problem seems to occur when I open a video file from a folder.

More recently, the problem has begun to occur even when I simply open a folder containing video files in it.

When I click 'close', everything on the screen disappears and then re-appears.

Furthermore, when I open a video file with windows media player, the following comes up:

Posted Image

When I click 'close', Windows Media player obviously closes.

So it would seem that the problem is somehow related to videos on my computer.

I have been dealing with and downloading certain videos and video software recently so it does make sense.

I have uninstalled all the software that I installed just before the problem started to occur.

I have successfully scanned and deleted lots of spyware. However, for some reason my anti-virus scan is not able to complete (I have had this problem for a while now). So I do not know whether this is caused by a virus or not.

I'm quite stuck for solutions.

Help would be appreciated! I apologise if I was not articulate enough. Don't hesitate to ask me for any clarification.

Regards

Edited by Ozzy84, 24 June 2007 - 05:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:13 PM

Get superantispyware.com its free and run a full scan. Also, Ensure that you have all your windows updates.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Ozzy84

Ozzy84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:15 PM

Will try that. Thanks.

#4 NEsince92

NEsince92

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:17 PM

Do you have your Windows XP Recovery CD which came with the computer still?

#5 Ozzy84

Ozzy84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:22 PM

Hi

No I don't think I do have that CD. And if I did it would take ages to find. Silly me. It's my loss I guess!

Edited by Ozzy84, 24 June 2007 - 05:23 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:48 PM

Click the little link in the Windows Explorer error message that says "click here". There'll be a link to click for details or information about the error message - click it. There will be several files listed there - you're looking for the one that ends with .dmp or .mdmp. Locate that file and copy it to your desktop before closing the dialog.

Once you've got it, use this link to analyze the file: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246
Copy and paste the results to your next post and we'll see what we can do to fix it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:01 PM

There was an answer here once, I think by Grinler himself, that some of this type of files cause indexing headache for Windows. The first thing I'd do is shut off indexing on the system drive. Then, if the error persists, I'd check the things suggested here.

Few other things to look at - multiple windows and use of a USB flash drive. Finally, context menus on the right mouse click. Microsoft doesn't like to see non-Microsoft things there. Some are obsolete and often cause problems (not that I don't keep them).

Without at least the description of the error from the event log I don't think anyone can even begin to guess.

#8 DefJerry

DefJerry

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:33 PM

I have exactly the same problem as you for about 1 year I think. Maybe i'm too busy to really try to correct it... Anyways, I have never found even a hint of what could be the problem. I contacted a Windows troubleshooting guy and after 20-30 mins. of tests, updating files, downloading new files, he never gave me a solution. The closest answer I got from him was "It seems like it's a spyware problem". It seems...
I have scanned many times my computer, using various programs, but it still has the error. Ozzy84, had any luck with it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users