Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optical

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 spamiam

spamiam

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:02 PM

hi all.
can someone give me some info on optical drives.
while i understand a bit about most other components,
CD/DVD/R+-RW/etc kinda goes over my head.
i just wanna find a good (and quiet) drive(s) that will alow CD/DVD playing as well as burning.
perhaps one o yall have the time to give me a run down on these, laman style, so ill better understand.
many thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:07 PM

Well, there arent many differences betweed drive sounds. But I would recommend a cd\dvd burner. Either a TDK or a SONY. Even an HP would work. Also, try to get a +/- drive, that way it doesnt matter what type of blank dvds you get. Just remember that some DVD players wont play -r and some wont play +r.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:24 PM

Just a real quick breakdown to explain it:

CD/DVD+/-R/RW:
CD/DVD: CD/DVD Drive (most DVD drives are CD drives as well)
+/-: Supports DVD+R and DVD-R formats
R/RW: (W)riteable and R(e)Writeable Discs and formats can be used

as for quite there is only so much that can be done to quite a drive. Drives with quality spindle bearings will make less noise and using well balanced disks will help keep the noise down. But theres not much that can be done about those 2 Items except for buying quality Disks and drives. All the drives gavinseabrook mentioned are good so are Lite-On. As for Media (disks) my preference is Sony but Memorex makes good disks as well.

Edit: Forgot One of the Best Drives out there LG.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 24 June 2007 - 09:14 PM.

Posted Image

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:50 PM

To add to the list:

Pioneer and Plextor make very good drives, with Plextor being excellent (and very quiet). They also command a higher dollar, but nothing ridiculous
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:12 PM

Plextor have very good drives. I was able to get a sub $100 DVD/CD recorder at newegg.com and it works fine.

3939.png

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:54 PM

Plextor is good, but is about four times as expensive as the competition. Lite-on is probably the best bang for the buck at the moment, they have the fastest reading speed and have a reputation for the best firmware.

As for media...the saying "you get what you pay for" is very true. There is cheap media out there that may or may not work, but the question is how long do you want to keep the information? The Library of Congress and the National Institute of Standards and Technology have a on going study of media to determine the longevity of different types of media, the findings so far are that the cheap media will only last a couple of years. Their findings don't mention specific manufacturers, but it seems that the general consensus is that Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are one the list of the media that hasn't failed...yet.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 spamiam

spamiam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:35 AM

thanks for all the info guys, you were all most helpful.
heres a question i still have though:
is there such a thing as a combo drive that burns CDs as well as DVDs in the same tray, or am i going to have to get a drive for each purpose. it looks to me like most of the combos just burn CDs and not both.
forgive my ignorance; please enlighten me.

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:42 AM

On systems that I make using scsi, I will only use plextor drives. for lower cost machines, I use LiteOn IDE drives, BTW the latest subcontractor for HP DVD Burners is LiteOn.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:03 PM

Most DVD Burners will do cds as well.

Posted Image

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:32 PM

back when dvd burners cost over 200$ and blanks were 2$, a combo drive was a good buy, now that dvd's sell for almost a cheap as cd's, and dvd burners are only a few dollars more than a combo, it makes no sense to buy anything but a dvd burner.

avoid oem drives, like sony, hp etc that may be made by another company, you pay more and often get poor firmware support

LG and Pioneer make good solid drives, liteon and samsung are good and add the ability to do quality scans

the benq 1620/1640/1650/5 was probably the best overall drives ever made, they are no more

nec/opti/sony drives have gone downhill

plexs are horribly overpriced

Edited by DaChew, 25 June 2007 - 02:32 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users