Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Sharing ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Flash1940

Flash1940

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:01 PM

Hi folks.....This is my first post on this site....so cut me some slack if I do something stupid !
Here is my problem (one of many) :
I now have two computers. A Windows 2000 pro....and a Dell running Windows XP Pro. (the one I'm on now).
I have an Hp 1215 printer and an Hp 5470c scanner connected to the Win 2000 machine. I would like to use the printer & scanner on both machines.
How is the best way to do this????
What troubles may I encounter???
Are any of you doing this???

Flash

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:10 PM

Well, one problem with sharing a scanner is that whoever is going to be using it will still have to travel across your home to put something in the scanner, run back, click scan, then go back and get the original. It is a lot of hassle. And using the Print Sharing wizard is weird sometimes. Such as if your Win 2000 machine is off, the XP machine wont be able to print to it. The way I would do it, is create a small batch file, and place it in my Startup folder, that will automatically connect to the shared printer, and just do the scanning from one computer, and transfer the scans through the network.

But in a perfectly simple world, I would get a print server (from $19-$45) that puts your printer on the network, this way even if the Win2000 computer is off, you can still print.

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users